G-Loomis Mooching Rod

burnsy22

I am thinking of buying the 10'6" Gloomis 1363 med-heavy mooching rod. It is rated for 12-20lb line on the rod....Now here are my questions...will the rod hold up when using 30lb maxima which is what i normally use while being used as a down rigger rod? And is that weight of rod going to be effective fishing for chinooks or is it too light?

Any GLoomis guys have any opinions?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Burnsy

depends what's your avg size springs your getting i suppose

the rod as you state is best suited to 12-20 so going 30 is a bit over kill is it you using the rod all the time or is it going to be used for guiding

lots of options on rods go give a few a wiggle at army or navy if your Vancouver or even wholesale sports

have few bends of any admunsons reddingtons? fenwick or try sage, tfo (if you want hi end )

or the shimano's Daiwa's ugly stick bigwater rhino be surprised by some of the eglass blank rods

but as i say all depends on personal preference and what you like using ...

lets us know how you get on and what you decide to go with.

tight lines john

Yeah I have tried quite a few different rods....Just haven't used the G-Loomis specifically...The one that i have a chance to get a good price on is the one i mentioned above...Just wanted to know if anyone had fished off a down rigger with that weight of gloomis rod for chinooks.

I use my Loomis STR 1265C with a level wind on the downrigger-25# test and it works fine-plus I just beat up a bunch of Squamish Chums with it earlier today.

They're a funny stick-somewhat fragile feeling but I've never broken it on a fish.

That being said using 30# on a rod rated for 20 is asking for trouble-the kind of trouble that isn't covered under warranty.

I dont know if you ever Watch"Big Coast" on WFN but they use G-Loomis with Islanders and if you watch closely the rod action looks pretty awesome,
I mean they certainly handle some pretty decent fish pretty effortlessly.
I spoke to Tim Milne and they use the G-Loomis 10'6" in med action and really use and abuse them and they stand up really well. he likes the sensitive tip on them
Hope this helps

Sorry for getting off topic but is anybody building rods ? where on the island do you get decent rodbuilding supplies? theres place in victoria but i was thinking tyee marine in campbell river as i go there often was also thinking Loomis or lamiglass

I've used my SAR 1265 GL2 for 12 years now without any problems. 10'6", 10-40 lb line rating, med-heavy action. Ive caught a lot of springs up to 40 lbs on this rod over the last decade. Great rod for downrigger use. I've seen them on sale recently for $250.

Been using the 11.4 fters for close to 15 yrs now medium action with 30 lb test broken about 5 over those years and wasnt from fish!!!!!! just dumb things VERY good rod would highly suggest them.
Break one take it in get a new one but you have to cover shipping.last time I doid it it was 50 bucks I think.
they are very well balanced you wont be dissapointed.

good luck wolf

I use a 10'6" G-loomis Sar GL2 1265C-BC Heavy, Moderate Action 20-30 lb. test.
Great all around rod with exceptional balance and feel. Has great power when you need it, getting sealed on it you can really put the boots to it, defeated two seals this season and getting the spring back on this rod.
Also used this rod for Coho fishing off the down rigger, great feel for smaller fish also. Trotac Marine sells them.

Turns out the one I was looking at was the STR 1265 BC...rated 10-20lbs test....Felt like it has enough back bone but wasn't sure. I generally fish on the inside and get mostly 10-30lb fish but just wanted to make sure it had enough back bone in case i accidentally run into a 40lber. Anyone ever use the STR 1265 BC out of a down rigger?

I've got a STR 1265 GL2 with that rating but it's a trigger rod that I use for jigging. I've got a baitcaster reel on it but haven't tried it on the downrigger. It's a lighter rod so I would stick to the SAR 1265 rod for big springs. The STR would be fun for big coho.

I'm sure if that rod can handle inside fish it should be able to handle any fish with some patience. I use 1264 Lamiglass's that can handle our fish easily

Hey, you can also go the cheap route like I did: Shimano makes a 10 1/2" rod called the "Convergence" . I paid $ 69 and that rod has now become my "go to" boat rod. I took the reel seat off and replaced it with a nice nickel silver Struble seat large enough to fit the reel-foot of my Hardy Longstone. I line it with 40 lb Maxima (I think it's only rated to 25 lb but for $69, I figured I could live dangerously)

Great downrigger rod, good river rod for float-fishing steelhead, and the price is right

I took it to Barkley Sound in June to try it on smaller fish. Nice! Then to Pt. Hardy and Ucluelet in July, working my way up the food-chain in size. You're not going to be yanking your tyee spring out of a seal's mouth with it, but it'll get the job done.

Here's a link: several options available; all have pretty good components for the price

http://www.gonefishinshop.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page14.html

got a gl2 10'6" heavy -moderate? 20-30lb today -surprise present from my wife !!!!!!!! wahooo getting pumped for the new year already!! feels nice wonder what they mean by heavy and then moderate action printed underneath?

got a gl2 10'6" heavy -moderate? 20-30lb today -surprise present from my wife !!!!!!!! wahooo getting pumped for the new year already!! feels nice wonder what they mean by heavy and then moderate action printed underneath?

Heavy Power, and moderate action, not fast, but not slow...

Back