FYI

Bear

"So the BC Wildlife Federation, those fine fellows representing '50'000 hunters and fishers across the province' recently motioned, and a SFAB meeting (sportfish advisory) a STEELHEAD hatchery program for the Bulkley River and a wild fish Kill fishery on the Yakoun River on Haida Gwaii.Yes this is 2016 and no joke...somehow I seem to think they are trapped in 1972, which given the average members age, makes sense."

Copied from Hunting B.C. site under the BCWF thread.

"So the BC Wildlife Federation, those fine fellows representing '50'000 hunters and fishers across the province' recently motioned, and a SFAB meeting (sportfish advisory) a STEELHEAD hatchery program for the Bulkley River and a wild fish Kill fishery on the Yakoun River on Haida Gwaii.Yes this is 2016 and no joke...somehow I seem to think they are trapped in 1972, which given the average members age, makes sense."

Copied from Hunting B.C. site under the BCWF thread.[/QUOTE

The past two years in jan- feb I have travelled to port Clements to fish the yakoun. I stay at the golden spruce motel which a friendly swiss man named Urs is the owner. He is very convincing of the positive side of having a kill fishery, besides the mortality of released fish he says the fishery bring lots of much needed tourism money to the island from America and Europe. watch your mouth with the old guy comment, the only reason that board is made of old guys is because they are the only ones that are Actively involved not just internet sidelines.

The owner is a guide and has an agenda as well as a reason for a kill fishery, room rental and income. Why do you think they implemented a no kill fishery in the first place? Have you ever heard the expression "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". When will some realize that if every angler killed a wild steelhead, there would not be any left. Don't swallow too much of the BCWF rhetoric, there might be some BS in it.

I don't really understand why people want to kill trout, they taste like **** unless you are really hungry, out in the wild, have nothing else to eat, are cold, and have nothing else to eat. Oh, did I mention, I will eat them if there is nothing else to eat? Fun to fish for however.

I like doing up bigger hatchery trout from put and take lake fisheries, in a dry brine for about 12 hours, finished on the smoker for 6 or so hours. Makes some pretty wicked candy nuggets...

Last edited:
Ridiculous to think of a kill fishery up there in the river.

Early season rainbow from lakes though are amazing. MMMMMM
Those fillets look like they came from fish feeding on Kokanee?

If so I agree, they would be good eating, I was referring to stocked fish that dine primarily on aquatic insects.

Insects only. Beauty Pennask fish that feast on shrimp all winter long. After 3rd week of may I typically only C+R trout, right around when algae blooms start and weeds are in full force on most lakes.

I fool people all the time showing up to a BBQ and people think it's "the best sockeye they've ever had" then I reveal my dirty little secret.

Insects only. Beauty Pennask fish that feast on shrimp all winter long. After 3rd week of may I typically only C+R trout, right around when algae blooms start and weeds are in full force on most lakes.

I fool people all the time showing up to a BBQ and people think it's "the best sockeye they've ever had" then I reveal my dirty little secret.
Shrimp, that makes sense, but not sure they are an insect.

As the original post was about steelhead, which carries out an anadromous life-history by going out to the Ocean to feed and grow like the Pacific salmon species and, as such, has a very similar diet - copepods, euphausiids, crab larvae, squid, forage fish, etc, not sure your comments about the taste of resident rainbow trout are valid in this context BGM. I also think that the taste of resident rainbows has a lot to do with the water and forage where they're reared. Rainbows in clear lakes not subject to blue-green algal blooms, which contains the chemical geosmin that gives fish a muddy flavour, can be amazing table fare, particularly during colder water months and in lakes where freshwater shrimp (a crustacean, not an insect) are a diet staple.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of harvest fisheries for any stocks, whether steelhead or salmon, if they aren't robust enough to support them. I'll leave it to those with more knowledge of the status of the Bulkley, Yakoun or other steelhead stocks to debate the merits of the BCWF proposal.

Cheers!

Ukee

Just what do you think is the primary food source for all trout, wild or stocked ? I think tout, salmon, cod , halibut and many more fish and seafood species are an excellent food source. When there is no danger of eliminating a species by over harvesting. Wild steel head fall into a category that has issues.

We need to let those with the expertise and knowledge make the decisions based on scientific data, not political pressure from an organization that has no expertise.

As the original post was about steelhead, which carries out an anadromous life-history by going out to the Ocean to feed and grow like the Pacific salmon species and, as such, has a very similar diet - copepods, euphausiids, crab larvae, squid, forage fish, etc, not sure your comments about the taste of resident rainbow trout are valid in this context BGM. I also think that the taste of resident rainbows has a lot to do with the water and forage where they're reared. Rainbows in clear lakes not subject to blue-green algal blooms, which contains the chemical geosmin that gives fish a muddy flavour, can be amazing table fare, particularly during colder water months and in lakes where freshwater shrimp (a crustacean, not an insect) are a diet staple.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of harvest fisheries for any stocks, whether steelhead or salmon, if they aren't robust enough to support them. I'll leave it to those with more knowledge of the status of the Bulkley, Yakoun or other steelhead stocks to debate the merits of the BCWF proposal.

Cheers!

Ukee

Ok well when you put it into that context, I'd have to say that I've never actually tasted stealhead before, and I would never bonk one either, that's what salmon is for.

As for those stockers, I pull trout out of lakes considered to be trash lakes like Dougans and Lookout, in every season. You don't want to know how packed full of cow manure the Dougans fish usually are. Still makes some wicked candy smoked nuggets lol...

• Freshwater shrimp are the most important food source for trout in our interior lakes. Throughout the fly fishing season, feeding samples show that 35% of the trout's daytime feeding consists of shrimp. This increase to 42% for those fish feeding in the evening or at night. Whether in the day or evening, no other aquatic food source matches the shrimp in the trout's total diet.
  • The shrimp are Crustaceans and unlike the insects, they do not go through the visual transformations of larvae, pupa, and adult. They do not 'hatch' into something else and never have a terrestrial form. The newly hatched shrimp is just a smaller version of the adult. So, flies tied to imitate the shrimp should come in a variety of sizes for the same pattern and color combination

Back