fustrated on the Skagit

K

klorr

I fish the skagit twice a year ,so I hit and miss. This year I spent 4 hours throwing 20 different tiny fly's at porpoising fish. Very enjoyable however crazy fustrating. WHAT DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST FOR THE RIGHT FLY

We used to use a GREEN DRAKE dry fly #10 or #12 with max. 4lb tippet,anything heavier and they become leader shy.I prefer wet fly with a 10ft. sink tip however!;)

quote:Originally posted by klorr

I fish the skagit twice a year ,so I hit and miss. This year I spent 4 hours throwing 20 different tiny fly's at porpoising fish. Very enjoyable however crazy fustrating. WHAT DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST FOR THE RIGHT FLY Sorry Rainbows however the river is full of Bulls

Well, if the fish you saw were in fact resident rainbows then you have to start by using the process of elimination. You have to find out what they were targetting. When you see many fish finning at the same time then it is safe to say that they are focused on one or two very specific food items. Using anything else will prove fruitless. Any other time however, casting typical patterns of food items will result in catches of oportunistic fish. You obviously experienced this, in suggesting you did cast everythig to them. I'd say everything other than what they were looking for. LOL

Did you observe emerging insects coming off the water?

Did you see insect casings floating on the surface or deposited on the shoreline?

Did you screen the water to see what was in the various columns of water?

Were there migtratory fry exiting the system ?

Pull some rocks from the river bed and turn them over to see what was crawling around the bottom of them.

Match the hatch! size, colour are the most important. Impressionistic vs. realistic at this point would be more important in trying to hook a fish. Once you land a fish ensure you look into the gullet of the fish. If they were activly feeding you will see excess amounts of the insect in the mouth and throat of the fish. Pumping not required.

Bulls are easy. Throw streamer patterns resembling leeches or fry. Egg patterns will also work at specific times of the year. Obviously coinciding with any spawning times.

Porpoising fish are very catchable! In fact that is when they will be the most responsive. They are on a mission and not spooked. They will be very focussed though so unfortunately you will have to find out exactly what they are looking for.

Hope this helps a bit.

HL

Back