Fuel use betwen PA and Bamfield?

I have a yamaha 115 on my 19ft aluminum. I did a test during ideal conditions last spring on a small external tank. At 27mph i was getting 5.25 miles per american gallon. That was with 2 people a full fuel tank and fishing gear. Using the distances in post 16 of an 85NM round trip, with ideal conditions I would use around 70 litres. My boat is an older style welded hewescraft and has alot of drag, but your boat is heavier. I cruise at about 5 american gallons/hour.

I would suggest doing a test with your boat under ideal conditions with a normal load and see what your burn rate is at your desired cruising speed. Less than ideal conditions will cause you to burn significantly more fuel. Or leave with a full tank and fill up at bamfield and calculate your fuel burn rate from that trip.

Isn't there fuel in bamfield?
As for fuel consumption, a fuel flow meter is worth it's weight in gold. I have NM/gal on my chart plotter and that's the only number I look at

Same here, always keeping an eye on the mpg number on my plotter. Most better featured chartplotters can accept NMEA networked devices like fuel flow and fuel level sensors. For Lowrance, the sensor is about $80, same again for basic networking kit. Easy to install, simple inline connection downstream of the fuel filter. When I first fired up my system, I was amazed that my 35 year old 2 stroke 140 would get 4 mpg at cruise. Subsequent calibration showed that was a bit optimistic, the real figure is 3.5 mpg, still very respectable for an outboard from an era when gas cost a third of what it does now.

You better know your gallons per hour before you take a chance on any long trips, and always top up when you can. Never skip a fuel dock and don't trust your fuel gauge.
Stosh

Back