Fuel Smell from Boat tank vents, Charcoal filters?

Might want to follow that vent line see if it has a "loop" you will have some smell but shouldnt be that much only when boat is over filled or at fill up as its venting...

It has a loop, the smell is definitely worse when the tanks are full. Mostly I notice it in rough water when the boat is getting tossed around. I don't see how you would avoid the fuel smell. All vents are an open connection to the fuel tank the vapors are going to come out of there. I think my vents are just place at a poor location (mid ship). So nobody has charcoal filters and I am the only one bothered by the smell of fuel........

I could be wrong but I don’t think your allowed to have any obstructions at all in the vent lines the filter would be a potential hazard if it clogged. Also pretty sure there shouldn’t be a loop it needs to be a straight shot with no obstructions. if you google abyc-h24 the standard will come up should be a spot there that talks about venting.

On a hot day you’ll notice some vapor smell as everything expands that’s normal depending on wind direction, sounds like the vent location isn’t the greatest. It’s never a bad idea to do a pressure test just to make sure your not leaking fuel somewhere else the system should hold 3psi.

Is the boat new to you? I've never smelled gas fumes from a vent,possible fuel tank leak.I hope not for your sake,crappy thing to fix on most boats.

Seems like a poor location being mid ship. Mine is at the back of the boat. The only time I have noticed a gas smell is when tanks are full and it’s very hot outside.

Double check the seal around your fuel tank level sending unit - they often leak enough when tank is full and fuel is splashing around to create intermittent fuel smell

Double check the seal around your fuel tank level sending unit - they often leak enough when tank is full and fuel is splashing around to create intermittent fuel smell
#trophytanks

Normal if the tank is near full and a hot day. The higher temps pressurizes the tank and the fumes have to go somewhere....no different than a day or portable tank left in the sun...pop the top and its like opening a can of pop.

How old is the boat and where was it rigged?

I suggest fully investigating your system before making a change that could mess up a complicated system. A pressurized system vent is not an open connection to the outside air.

US boats have EPA mandated complex systems since 2013 I think.

US EPA fuel systems

get rid of the filter. first thing i removed. replace it with a vapor separator instead and you will have no fuel smell.

C PM, you say you DO have a loop in your vent hose, yet your attached PDF of the air/fuel separator shows NOT to have any loop (could be the issue). Also, I didn't notice if your vent is overboard, not on deck, at a walk-around, inside, etc. My only vent smell is while fueling (filler and vent are only a few feet apart).

FD

Back