Fuel gauge readings?

merrittboy1

When does a boats fuel gauge read most reliable, at the dock or while running? I get different readings. When sitting at dock reads lower than when running. Is this normal? Thanks.

Every boat is different. If you can access the tank you can figure out if it is sitting level at the dock, or when your trimmed out running in flat water.

Depends on where sender is mounted. I would bet that your sender is mounted at the rear of the tank that is why it reads higher as the fuel rushes to the back of the tank. At rest it would read the most reliable.

95 Trophy, 140 gallon tank, sensor is in back of boat. Have never worked with it, maybe should clean it up a bit... Awkward to get at though. I know people say never trust them. I am just so cheap this time of year, don't want to put much more gas in it. I run my kicker most of the time off of a separate tank as I know exactly how much gas is in it. My main is a Mariner 250 2 stroke. Eats gas when I just think about starting it....lol. Another question, when filling tank, every once in awhile I get a back flow coming back out of tank especially if I try to feed too quickly, what causes this? Thanks again..

I never trust a fuel gauge. My boat never leaves on any trip unless it is full. Every boat is different as to where it will read-I usually go by miles travelled on the main and/or hours run on the main in conjunction with the gauge to tell me what's happening. Not to tough to change the sender if you have access.

I have always found that when your boat is the most level it should read the most accurate. So at rest in the water or sitting level on the trailer. But as spring fever said never trust them I like knowing I have extra!! My c dory had tanks which you could see no fuel gauge just walk back and take a look this is a very effect way really liked that part of the c dory

Back