Fuel consumption measurement

JohnS

I have a 2018, 200hp Yamaha.. is there anyway to measure fuel economy without buying the 6Y8 gauge or one of their other $700+ gauges? Thanks

Most new outboards that are propped accordingly, you can basically know by manufacture specification on fuel burn, GPH @ RPM duration. Not sure what yamahas is as I don't really stick my head into that one far enough to give a ****. However the data is there if you can find it. Look for fuel burn @3500/4000/4500 RPM

Most new outboards that are propped accordingly, you can basically know by manufacture specification on fuel burn, GPH @ RPM duration. Not sure what yamahas is as I don't really stick my head into that one far enough to give a ****. However the data is there if you can find it. Look for fuel burn @3500/4000/4500 RPM
Interesting.. so those numbers will hold up regardless of what prop is on there (size, pitch etc?)?

Interesting.. so those numbers will hold up regardless of what prop is on there (size, pitch etc?)?
Not exactly. Like I said, propped accordingly however they prop recommend their engines. So it's not 100 percent accurate boat to boat, however is a great ballpark. Plus or minus 10 percent. If your an idiot and have way to small or big of a wheel then maybe that percent goes up

We already know 2 key things here with injection.. we know

Injector duration
Injector nozzle size(engineered volume)
Fuel pressure

With that based on RPM, you can get fuel consumption. Now combine that with engine load and there's another math equation. That's where by the time your in the ballpark you might loose the 10 percent or so.. depending

Last edited:
I have a 2018, 200hp Yamaha.. is there anyway to measure fuel economy without buying the 6Y8 gauge or one of their other $700+ gauges? Thanks
Lowrance has an interface cable I used to have for my 115hp. I would imagine Garmin has the same. I bought it off ebay for $150 or so. They also have a flow scan thing, but not as reliable and doesn't give the other engine data which is nice to have.

Lowrance has an interface cable I used to have for my 115hp. I would imagine Garmin has the same. I bought it off ebay for $150 or so. They also have a flow scan thing, but not as reliable and doesn't give the other engine data which is nice to have.
If you happen to come across the interface cable somewhere online please let me know.

On my suzuki gauge I have all that stuff but I really question my electric readout on fuel tank readout when i put in now outboard. Seems a bit off with tank level.

Stupid question can I still run my old analogue gauge as well at same time? Do I need any different harnessing to hook it up? Do you need two level senders top do that?

Sorry to hijack your post...... ;)

On my suzuki gauge I have all that stuff but I really question my electric readout on fuel tank readout when i put in now outboard. Seems a bit off with tank level.

Stupid question can I still run my old analogue gauge as well at same time? Do I need any different harnessing to hook it up? Do you need two level senders top do that?

You should be able to, however that's a really good question. Since the input for that suzuki system is going into a transistor controlled unit basically, it could have impedance bleedback so to speak. The mechanical guage works on resistance (impedance ) to ground, so if anything if the zuki part does change that impedance I don't see why you couldn't just put a diode in that line. Should try it and see what happens

I have found this to be surprisingly accurate.
It has correlated almost perfectly to actual consumption for 4 different boats for me.
It also correlated almost perfectly with my Yamaha/Lowrance interface.

you dont need a gauge. just the nmea cable which hooks the engine into your chartplotter.
then put it in different power levels and measure it.

e.g.

Maybe this is the way to go.. my current plotter (hook series) doesn't have a nmea port

Have you recalibrated on the gauge and do you know your tank size accurately. I question mine sometimes as well but it does seem to be quite accurate. If you drain the tank you can go through the manual tank calibration on the gauge in setup I think you fill 1/4 tank at a time from empty. If your not using the reed switch style sender it’s worth switching.

What would you guys go with.. a new plotter with nmea connection to motor or cl5 Yamaha touch screen?

Have you recalibrated on the gauge and do you know your tank size accurately. I question mine sometimes as well but it does seem to be quite accurate. If you drain the tank you can go through the manual tank calibration on the gauge in setup I think you fill 1/4 tank at a time from empty. If your not using the reed switch style sender it’s worth switching.

It was calibrated at dealer when they set it up....But no haven't recalibrate it.

Back