Frustrated B.C. chiefs unload on cabinet ministers over fate of salmon

IronNoggin

Frustrated B.C. chiefs unload on cabinet ministers over fate of salmon​

Chief Arnie Lampreau of the Shackan First Nation talked about spending money for the first time last year — $750,000 — to buy fish for eight Shackan communities, when he could recall being able to fish for ample salmon at their doorsteps decades ago.

Lampreau said he could recall having the same conversations about the need to protect wild salmon when he sat on fisheries committees in the early 2000s, and “the only thing that has changed is that we have less fish in our rivers.”

“I see that we need to take these guys to court,” Lampreau said. “Let’s not sit around waiting here before it’s too late. If I’ve got to pay $750,000 a year to buy fish for my people, I’m going to spend that much money in court when our families can no longer go down to the river and fish freely to exercise their rights.”

So the Shackan FN chief wants to talk about net pens in the Discovery Islands that somehow are responsible for the Coldwater and the Nicola being biological deserts?

Maybe he should talk to his FN brothers downstream on the Fraser and ask if they have any ideas why the salmon and steelhead runs that used to come up the THompson are now so depressed? I wonder if wanton gill net usage might come into the conversation? Nah, it’s those godawful net pens

So the Shackan FN chief wants to talk about net pens in the Discovery Islands that somehow are responsible for the Coldwater and the Nicola being biological deserts?

Maybe he should talk to his FN brothers downstream on the Fraser and ask if they have any ideas why the salmon and steelhead runs that used to come up the THompson are now so depressed? I wonder if wanton gill net usage might come into the conversation? Nah, it’s those godawful net pens
The net pens and the gill nets are both godawful. It is strange that removing gillnets from the rivers never get mentioned as part of the solution. If the salmon can’t make it back to spawn eventually won’t be going downriver to grow either. Pretty simple.

Its pretty much to late already. I've been fishing (catch and release) a lot this spring to date and I've released only 1 decent summer Chinook that likely was a Fraser bound Chinook. That was a fish I estimated to be about 28 pounds and was released at Otter Point on June 1st. I've put in 17 trips since the 14th of May which is the realistic time early Fraser stocks typically could be encountered. For all those hours targeting Chinook just 1 Chinook over 20 pounds. Lets go back to 1992, the 1st year with the new 22 Seasport I still have now, 30 years later. During that same time period in 1992 my Chinook catch of over 20 pounds went 37 1/2, 29 1/2, 29 1/2, 28 1/2, 26 1/2, 25 1/2, 25, 25, 25, 24, 23, 22, 21 1/2, 21 1/2, 21 1/2, 21, 21, 21, 20, 20. If not for US hatchery stocks it would be some very boring fishing out there.

Back