freshwater fishing

T

Toddh

Hey Guys,

Got a buddy from Vancouver coming over this weekend. We are looking for some fresh water to fish; lake/river doesn't matter. We're not interested in going any further north than the Cowichan. Any reports or thoughts of where we might have a remote chance of catching something would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Todd

all we got are a couple of belly boats and a bottle of fireball.

That's perfect!!! Early in the am in the west arm casting the docks for 5+ pound smallies. Sounds like a good time, if you are into bass fishing. The trout fishing is pretty slow right now with the warm water and they taste crappy if you were into eating them, not to mention the worms at this time of year.

Durrance is also a nice lake for the tube. There are more up island, but too far for what you want to travel.

Hey Yote,

I think you've sold me! Thanks for the input. We use fly gear...I have a bunch of poopers from previous bass fishing...should i stick with those or is there something else that works good up there?

Todd

I don't fly fish for bass myself, but a guy I always talk to does and he said he does very well with both poppers and leach patterns. I always, well most of the time, use plastics and cast the docks, but pretty well anything works there.

AS you go up the west arm of the lake, somewhere around the fire hall there is a road to the right and a little put in spot at the end of the road, that's where I would go in and go to the left to fish the bay or right for nice rocky shoals. It's a blast, you guys should do well.

Yeah, that spot is between the arm and Camp Pringle, isn't it? That woudl be a great spot for tube launch.
But make sure you head out really early. I have had poor luck with smallie topwater later on in the day as it's too warm and they head deeper generally.
Aside from the slimy soup, Beaver would be a good bet for smallies and especially the largemouth in shadows.
And how about Prospect or Langford lakes for flyfishing bass?

All those lakes are good, I hate the slime at Beaver and Elk too at this time of year. Prospect is always good for numbers but man, Shawnigan has the hogs.

Yeah if you want somthing local to Vic go for prospect. I pulled 4 out last time but they all went back. I gave the cirlce hooks a try and not one of them got it in the guts, in the corner of the mouth. good luck to ya

hey maxpower,

I been in prospect quite a bit for rainbow and tried my luck for bass, however been fairly unsuccessful. I would put in at the boat launch ramp off echo st. and head left along the south side of the lake. Is that the best area and what kind of flies are you using?

thanks t

So how was the fishing Tod?

We went to prospect on Sat am and caught 14 bass between the three of us. One just shy of 4 lbs. another snapped off the leader 6 lb. test that doesn't happen too often.

Back