French Creek Poacher has his day in court

onefish

The Nanaimo daily free press posted the results of the court action against the french creek poacher.

https://www.google.ca/#q=john+mcleod+nanaimo&tbm=nws

"John Lorne McLeod was fined $900 under British Columbia's Sport Fishing Regulations for failing to maintain catch records and possession of more than twice the daily quota of fish."

Last edited by a moderator:
what a joke...they want this chit to stop happening, he should have lost his damn boat (on the assumption they didn't confiscate of course)

They should have taken his fishing licence at the very least for the year. Rumour has it last month he and his pal won a local derby and used that money to pay the fine. His pal weighed the fish in.

Yet some poor SOB who unintentually kept an undersize because he didn't measure it quite correctly or didn't bend the barb down quite enough would probably get a similar penalty. This one appears to be a blatant disregard for the regs and should have warrented the maximum penalty AND the loss of license for 5 years AND the loss of boat & equipment. There is no wonder this sort of thing is so rampant, the chances of getting caught are next to zero and then if you do get caught there is only a slap on the wrist. WHAT A REDICULOUS SYSTEM!!! DFO or ??? should appeal the fine and push for a stiffer penalty regardless of the cost involved. An example needs to be set.

If he is caught again, the sentence will be much stiffer.
Now he is a convicted poacher, maybe derbies should exclude such people.

Gong Show

Yet some poor SOB who unintentually kept an undersize because he didn't measure it quite correctly or didn't bend the barb down quite enough would probably get a similar penalty. This one appears to be a blatant disregard for the regs and should have warrented the maximum penalty AND the loss of license for 5 years AND the loss of boat & equipment. There is no wonder this sort of thing is so rampant, the chances of getting caught are next to zero and then if you do get caught there is only a slap on the wrist. WHAT A REDICULOUS SYSTEM!!! DFO or ??? should appeal the fine and push for a stiffer penalty regardless of the cost involved. An example needs to be set.

DFO has no say in the penalty assessed by Provincial Court.
They may draft a 'victim impact statement' on behalf of the fish.
If the penalty is too high for a first offence, it sets up an appeal.
Keep reporting this guy, it will catch up to him.

GS

They should have taken his fishing licence at the very least for the year. Rumour has it last month he and his pal won a local derby and used that money to pay the fine. His pal weighed the fish in.

He and his pal did indeed land the winning fish as to what the prize money was used for who knows?

Assuming they each had two fish marked that's $225 per fish over the limit $900/4. Maybe only his buddy had two marked and that's why he could keep them and Mr. Poacher didn't write any down in that case 6 fish over the limit (or unmarked) so the fine was $150 each fish $900/6.

I bet its $150 per fish. Can't DFO hand out their own fines?

P.S if he had to hire a lawyer for court then it cost him a lot more.

Nice to hear of the conviction but not surprised on the fine. You hear of people getting 2 yrs for manslaughter after killing someone when drunk driving. Shity lacks sentences is what Canada is about. How about a website of pics of convicted fish poachers lol. or how about hes never aloud to use treble hooks again. Totally think time off the water should be part of the sentence.

I understand the next day after being caught he was at a very well know store in Nanaimo replacing all of his gear as since he was only charged and not convicted he still had a licence and could go out again the very next day.... What a joke........

I understand the next day after being caught he was at a very well know store in Nanaimo replacing all of his gear as since he was only charged and not convicted he still had a licence and could go out again the very next day.... What a joke........

Innocent until proven guilty is a very good basis for our justice system.
It's not perfect and does not pretend to be.
He will always be a convicted poacher.

Gong Show

Nice to hear of the conviction but not surprised on the fine. You hear of people getting 2 yrs for manslaughter after killing someone when drunk driving. Shity lacks sentences is what Canada is about. How about a website of pics of convicted fish poachers lol. or how about hes never aloud to use treble hooks again. Totally think time off the water should be part of the sentence.

How about in Montana - a 15 year sentence for rape, all of it suspended except for 31 days. In effect, a 31 day sentence for raping a 14 year old. Not only weak sentencing in Canada...

That Montana judge caused an uproar---not a normal occurrence.

The Provincial C.O's can flex their muscles if they want to---I've heard of guys losing their campers and their jet boats for steelhead violations on the Skeena

They guys canning salmon over their limits in Terrace get books thrown at them

It does say in the other thread the took away his electric riggers, rod, net, tackle... etc. so all of that on top of $900 is quite a bit. i agree he should be suspended from fish all together though

It does say in the other thread the took away his electric riggers, rod, net, tackle... etc. so all of that on top of $900 is quite a bit. i agree he should be suspended from fish all together though

That would have been seized as evidence.
It would be returned after the sentencing, unless there was a forfeiture order.

Gong Show

Assuming they each had two fish marked that's $225 per fish over the limit $900/4. Maybe only his buddy had two marked and that's why he could keep them and Mr. Poacher didn't write any down in that case 6 fish over the limit (or unmarked) so the fine was $150 each fish $900/6.

I bet its $150 per fish. Can't DFO hand out their own fines?

P.S if he had to hire a lawyer for court then it cost him a lot more.

I have heard that they usually fine 150/fish for ppl caught snagging in rivers also.

Back