French Creek Derby- Aug 26-28

Charter Tofino

Just wanted to let some members know of the upcoming derby this weekend. Fishing starts at Noon friday with daily weigh in until dusk (830?) and it wraps up at noon on Sunday. No idea what prizes are available. 10$ a rod with tickets for sale at the french creek store and gone fishin in nanaimo (not 100% on that).

If I try to launch out of french creek early sunday is it going to be a gong show? Just curious.

Hey everyone, you can get tickets at French Creek Marina Store or French Creek Marine Pub or call 250-248-3713 ext. 2 or 1. Tickets are $10.00/Rod. Proceeds go to Marion Baker Fish Hatchery on French Creek. There is a daily largest salmon cash prize as well a largest salmon overall cash prize. There is also a prize table for all entrants to have a chance to win. There is also a camping deal $20.00/weekend if required. BBQ by donation to follow. Hope to see you there!

If I try to launch out of french creek early sunday is it going to be a gong show? Just curious.
You should be OK early Sunday. The ramp is pretty good if everybody does what there suposed to. Sunday afternoon might be a different story...................

Here is the boundry. I highly doubt the ramp will be a zoo but likely a bit more traffic. Did not seem to be that many entered in the derby thats why i posted it on here.

9fc09fcc.jpg

Hey Kelly got your PM about the derby and replied and it said your box is full . Send me a text or I'll try again later. BRS

Fished hard solo Friday. Lost one nice one and released on at the river, afternoon bite. Looks slow in front. Not sure what the leader is.

We are sucking it up. 1 for 4 yesterday. Broke off a large somehow and lost a teener at the net. Bonked a 13. Today we went 2 for 4 but both were both small 8-11ish. We are fishing the river and water front. Spotty fishing but certainly fish around and others are doing much better. 40 lber is currently winning and will be tough to beat but there is always tomorrow.....

heard at the french Creek Store that a 40 pounder came in PLUS A a 50 pound lost halbut all from the Little Q

Local guide Don Graves out with a client got the derby winner, 40 lbs. Just got a photo of them standing at the cleaning table in French Creek

Thanks for the report TS, do you know what the prize was? I saw a 32 get weighed in yesterday at Beachcomber he didnt bother entering it cause he knew there was a 40 weighed in. Kelly got any pics? This back to work thing sucks there are some nice fish out there. BRS

Didnt have anything worth taking pics of haha. We hit lots of pinks, coho, shakers and 6-13 lb springs but could not land a decent fish to save our lives. Lost 7-8 good fish including a few at the boat. Just unreal. Broke two off which we hadnt done all year, had the hook somehow come off a spoon during the fight and had a bunch just spit it. Fished the waterfront alot even though it was slower than the river because we knew the bigger fish were there. Oh well sometimes you win sometimes you dont but still needed a few beers after the derby to say the least....

Here are a few whale pics that we did take.

f139b2ab.jpg

Friend took this.Thats me standing on the bow but didnt get any pics from our angle.

7cb0e8e2.jpg

C'mom Kelly I thought you might jump in and get some under water footage of the whales swimming with you. LOL. I thought you were "BC Tough". Good pictures thou.

Im borderline stupid, sometimes full on but i have yet to think thats a good idea! Although after losing all those fish i would have happily been killed by a whale haha.

At least you can say that you had fish on, Kelly. Thats a lot more than I can
say lately.
Beautiful pactures Kelly. I now have one of them as my screen background. [Not the one with you in it.]
Do you know about how many fish were weighted in during the derby?
Lure-washer

At least you can say that you had fish on, Kelly. Thats a lot more than I can
say lately.
Beautiful pactures Kelly. I now have one of them as my screen background. [Not the one with you in it.]
Do you know about how many fish were weighted in during the derby?
Lure-washer
I heard about 100.

Back