Fraser Sockeye 2016 R.I.P.

Yes but it was the conservatives that made it worse. Bill C-38 was introduced under Harper, and that party ignored the Cohen commission recommendations. Regardless all forms of government have led us to this now. It is the policy in Ottawa that needs to change.

We got 4 socks in two days at the north arm on bait I targeted them yeas ago when open and I couldn't get a bite lol I love fishing but if we need to shut stuff down for 4 or 5 years its good with me lots o flakes around!!!

Last edited:
We got 4 socks in two days at the north arm on bait I targeted them yeas ago when open and I couldn't get a bite lol I love fishing but if we need to shut stuff down for 4 or 5 years its good with me lots o flakes around!!!
i don't read or can't find anything about a sockeye hatchery re:results /numbers released etc. for the fraser system and the news never compares hatchery output(if any) with return forecasts .

Agreed complete shutdown for 5 years, commercial/rec/FN... Would be worth it but an impossible reality and not feasible (I could go not fishing for 5 years, but lodges, commies, etc cannot). Also after I don't think it would be managed well again anyway lol, history would repeat itself vs long term solution. Sure would be good fishing for a bit though.

Exact time period we started seeing increased wall to wall drift netting on the Fraser!
Pretty weird how the sockeye stocks below 99% of the netting on the Fraser had banner returns this year!!!!!!
But hey I guess those Pitt, Chilliwack and cultus sox don't swim past the fish farms......

Exact time period we started seeing increased wall to wall drift netting on the Fraser!
Pretty weird how the sockeye stocks below 99% of the netting on the Fraser had banner returns this year!!!!!!
But hey I guess those Pitt, Chilliwack and cultus sox don't swim past the fish farms......
Why did they only have a banner return this year when as you say 99% of the netting is above these rivers? Doesn't quite add up. Where are the numbers to support the so called banner year?

The Fraser sockeye runs were flourishing in the 1980's . All cycles were growing. Fish farms started in the late 1980's and spread like a plague throughout Johnstone Straits throughout the 90's. The downward spiral started in the mid 90's and this year is a disaster. If you have a few minutes watch this video http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2016/08/gotcha-2.html
good post.that video actually turned my stomach .they call those emaciated freaks salmon?..i'd rather eat kale

Oh oh. Damn gopro. Must be a glitch in the software. Couldn't possibly show whats actually in the pens.

I agree with Whitebuck that the native fishery has been out of control for the last 20 years. Political decisions during that time from Ottawa have cut budgets,tied the hands of enforcement in the field, and muzzled the scientists that know whats going on.
Regarding the better performance of the lower river stocks,they do not have to navigate the migration route up the Fraser canyon against strong current and the record high temperatures we have had the last few years. If the upriver stocks are weakened by a virus that affects their heart and liver,some of them don't get to the spawning grounds or if they do, they die unspawned. The Chilliwack sockeye run, which has been performing better, is unique in that the smolts migrate out through Jaun de Fuca not Johnstone Straits and don't run the gauntlet of fish farms. I wonder if there is any connection..... I think there are a number of factors at play and they are all negative and all human caused in one way or another. What a trail of destruction we leave behind us.....

Back