Fraser River sockeye returns predicted to be dismal — again — this summer

You just have to love the arm chair critics.
Rod is working in the system and I question if the critics are involved in the SFAB?
The Sfac on the Fraser have few people involved and the largest population of fishermen?

As DFO has set up the system and it is the way for sports anglers to provide input.
Running down someone who is involved is lame.

If either of you have a better ideal then tell us how you are going to proceed and solve the problem.

By the way just because you recommend something to DFO, does not guarantee they will do it..

When are the meetings? We need people on the board who have the experience, passion and knowledge. Not some webmaster whos only time on the Fraser or other fisheries is when someone takes him out so he can make videos on it.
He should stick to making money off our fisheries and wrecking fisheries with his multimedia pressure.

Last edited:
Same lame excuses defending an out of date approach that engages less than 1% of rec anglers and, in doing so, misses out on the opportunity to harness the passion and monetary support the larger rec community has to ensure the sector has professional representation - experienced biologists and lawyers, the same as the other two key sectors, FN and Commercial, do.

We live in the age of the internet and social media and yet the rec community is still represented by a few folks who can attend mid-week, work hour meetings. This is in no way a slam on the individuals, I clearly stated in my post that the current system isn't fair to the volunteers as it puts them in a situation that they aren't qualified to be in.

I put your challenge right back to you and others OBD, you can continue to defend a system that is clearly outdated, doesn't engage most anglers and lacks the required expertise and funding to be effective or you, too, can be part of developing a modernized approach!

Cheers!

Ukee

You both need to do your homework as it is obvious you have done none.

First, the people,who you say are not experts and are ill equipped in fact are ex DFO staff, lawyers, biologists business people who work in the fishing field etc. they are far from ill equipped.

Second, meetings,in Vancouver are held at night and on the weekends. So if you cannot spare time to go, that is on you.

Third if you want to raise money for a group to use for lawyers and lobbying then go hard and give to one of the groups like the SFI to use.

Want to change the system, then get involved and do it.

Don't like the one that is in place, start a new one,but check with DFO to see if they will accept it.

What is rodneys background?

I don't know Rodney personally other then briefly talking with him at a couple of events over the years, but I do know that he has a Fisheries Biology degree from UBC. Not exactly sure though what level of the degree is, ie: bachelors, masters etc.

His website lists a few organizations he is involved with.

[QUOTE="UkeeDreamin, post: 798035, member: 4797

Equally sad for those who know the Vedder and Lower Fraser fisheries is the recent passing of Dave Willey, one of the founding members of the BCFDF and known to be a top rod on the Vedder and any other flow where steelhead could be found. Will miss you Smurf, RIP!

Cheers!

Ukee[/QUOTE]
Nice note for my buddy the smurf. He did have a great send off celebration. He also was a founding member of SSBC and the Drifters Rod and Reel club. Will be missed for sure.

Last edited:
Fishery Notice
Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information
Subject:
FN0835-Aboriginal: Sockeye Non-retention in First Nations Food, Social and Ceremonial Fisheries in most Southern B.C. Marine Waters
Effective 23:59 hours on Tuesday, August 9, 2016 until further notice, sockeye non-retention in Food, Social and Ceremonial fisheries will be in effect in the following Areas:
Areas 11 to 21, 111, 121, 124 to 127 and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5.
http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187061&ID=all

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information
Subject:
FN0835-Aboriginal: Sockeye Non-retention in First Nations Food, Social and Ceremonial Fisheries in most Southern B.C. Marine Waters
Effective 23:59 hours on Tuesday, August 9, 2016 until further notice, sockeye non-retention in Food, Social and Ceremonial fisheries will be in effect in the following Areas:
Areas 11 to 21, 111, 121, 124 to 127 and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5.
http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187061&ID=all

Over the last two weeks, almost the entire Fraser river has been open for FNs to net for Sockeye:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes_Previous.html

In fact, they have been retaining ovre 45,000 sockeyes in the Fraser as of July 31st. If this year's run is so poor (~700,000 fish) why do they still allow the FNs to net for Chinooks while Sockeye is the main by-catch of that fishery? What is DFO's justification for this opening and how does it fit into their conservation plans??

Because they are the Keepers of the land and sea. They know best.
Sickening two sets of rules in this country. How pathetic. Net EM till their all gone. Then there will be nothing to fish for at all. Makes a lot of sence doesn't it. Soon we will be like the East Coast. Complete closure to all ...... Except FN.
That's when I guess I become a poacher.

Tidal Fraser closed to salmon fishing as of Thursday, August 11:

Subject: FN0839-RECREATIONAL - Salmon: Area 29 - Tidal Waters of the Fraser River - Immediate Closure of all Salmon Fishing

Effective dates: one hour after sunset on Thursday, August 11, 2016 until
further notice.

Waters: Tidal waters of the Fraser River (downstream edge of the CPR bridge at
Mission to the mouth).

Management Measure: Fishing for salmon is not permitted.

Current run size estimates of Fraser River Summer Run sockeye salmon have
resulted in no allowable harvest and a conservation concern. The Department's
first priority is to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye returning to the
spawning grounds. The Department will manage all fisheries to minimize sockeye
impacts and provide priority access to First Nations' fishing for food, social
and ceremonial purposes.

Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead, sturgeon and other non-
salmon species in this area remain open.

The Department will continue to review sockeye stock status information on a
regular basis to help inform future fisheries management decisions and fishing
opportunities. Updated information will be announced by fishery notice.

Variation Order: 2016-356

Back