Fraser River Navigation

eriks

Are there any obvious rules of the road to observe when navigating the Fraser?
I actually have never run the boat up the river before. I just need to get up the North Arm for 5 miles. Obviously looking out for logs is a no brainer, but just wondering about speed and maybe anything else I may be missing.

Keep right on the way up river, follow the normal passing rules, red right return, careful around tugs, watch your wake if there are people working on log booms, watch where you are going - not the screen, but know depth, take your time. Shouldn't be a problem.

As long as you know what channel markers, bouys and range markers are its very simple. The areas with speed limits will be posted, generally only close to marinas just like anywhere else.

Ya, Tubber is right. Just stay right heading upstream. It’s easy about a mile or so past Cowards Cove to start navigating to Port side and into the booming grounds. All you see ahead is a large expanse of water. Stay right a 100 feet off the log booms and you’re good. It’s pretty civilized. I thought it was a bit daunting 5 years ago when I started leaving the boat at Milltown, but, it’s a decent place to navigate although eyes open always as deadheads are everywhere. Some just skimming the top of the water.

Are there any obvious rules of the road to observe when navigating the Fraser?
I actually have never run the boat up the river before. I just need to get up the North Arm for 5 miles. Obviously looking out for logs is a no brainer, but just wondering about speed and maybe anything else I may be missing.
careful running upstream as a few deadheads are anchored on the bottom and angled at you-I've hit a few of those deadheads, usually slow down for those boats tied up at the beach

Yes lots of deadheads and debris, especially this time of year with run off starting, really keep a sharp eye out and also just be prepared for impact at all times. Some stuff is impossible to see

Back