Fraser fish finders: Chilliwack school kids join in sturgeon data-collection effort

"BCIT fish and wildlife instructor Marvin Rosenau, a former director of the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society, said that while overall stocks in the lower Fraser seem stable, there are concerns about declining juvenile populations."

A province biologist gave a presentation about the concerns in the declining juvenile populations they don't no the caused but said the year class of fish that is doing bad is also the year class of fish that get caught in gillnets.

But Gilnets are okay?????

The aboriginal Lower Fraser Fishing Alliance is urging the province to suspend the catch-and-release fishery, saying it is “undoubtedly causing stress that may lead to reduced reproductive capability and potentially death” during this summer’s unusually warm temperatures on the lower Fraser.
Alliance chair Ken Malloway urged more regulations for the 365-day-a-year fishery, especially when it comes to fishing in spawning areas.

“Just because it doesn’t die, it doesn’t mean no harm is done,” Malloway said. “How about if I torture and release you …?”

The industry is heavily invested in sturgeon fishing, believes it is the best steward of the fish and is dead against any restrictions, he said.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW

“White sturgeon doesn’t mean it’s just for white people,” Malloway added. “We’ve lived on them forever.”

He also believes natives should be able to keep sturgeon caught as bycatch during beach seining for chum salmon in fall.

“We wouldn’t keep them all, we just want some for our elders,” he said.

But Gilnets are okay?????

The aboriginal Lower Fraser Fishing Alliance is urging the province to suspend the catch-and-release fishery, saying it is “undoubtedly causing stress that may lead to reduced reproductive capability and potentially death” during this summer’s unusually warm temperatures on the lower Fraser.
Alliance chair Ken Malloway urged more regulations for the 365-day-a-year fishery, especially when it comes to fishing in spawning areas.

“Just because it doesn’t die, it doesn’t mean no harm is done,” Malloway said. “How about if I torture and release you …?”

The industry is heavily invested in sturgeon fishing, believes it is the best steward of the fish and is dead against any restrictions, he said.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW

“White sturgeon doesn’t mean it’s just for white people,” Malloway added. “We’ve lived on them forever.”

He also believes natives should be able to keep sturgeon caught as bycatch during beach seining for chum salmon in fall.

“We wouldn’t keep them all, we just want some for our elders,” he said.

Oh look Watershed watch again behind scenes with their buddies sticking its nose now in the catch and release sturgeon fishery. The next target. I suppose there will be another mortality statistics model generated for that fishery soon too.

It's funny how all of the sudden everybody's complaining about rec fishery catch and release. Almost like groups have been consulted? By who? Well I think we know.

Oh look Watershed watch again behind scenes with their buddies sticking its nose now in the catch and release sturgeon fishery. The next target. I suppose there will be another mortality statistics model generated for that fishery soon too.

It's funny how all of the sudden everybody's complaining about rec fishery catch and release. Almost like groups have been consulted? By who? Well I think we know.

yeah it's an organized effort seen even commercial fishermen now piling on.

Back