four stroke motor leak

tubber

I have a 2003 Merc 50hp efi tiller on my 17 whaler. After a great day out of Ukee and on the way in on the last day of my fishing summer last year I hit the only log in the ocean on a flat calm day while watching a whale instead of the road.

I now have slow but constant motor oil leak. I took the mid section cowling off and can see a trickle coming down the drive shaft when running in a barrel.
Google searches haven't turned up much, but I imagine there is a damaged gasket up near where the driveshaft inserts into the motor.
Is this a powerhead removal type repair? And what can I expect the good folks at Dockside marine to soak me?

Dripping oil into ocean and lake and then topping the oil up isnt an option I'd be happy with.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Check to make sure you haven't got a slightly bent drive or prop shaft that would create a wobble. That could cause a seal to leak as well. Spinning the prop quickly by hand with the engine out of gear will prove if the prop shaft is ok or not.

Check to make sure you haven't got a slightly bent drive or prop shaft that would create a wobble. That could cause a seal to leak as well. Spinning the prop quickly by hand with the engine out of gear will prove if the prop shaft is ok or not.

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow when I dig her out of the garage. Anyone else have a wife that think your boat is a giant wheelbarrow for surplus winter storage.

Good advice here! You don't wanna be running it if the prop shaft is bent, for the problems mentioned. If you can see oil leaking down the drive shaft it could be the lower crank seal; you would have to remove the power head to repair it if that's the case.

She can't do it if you're using it, lol.
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow when I dig her out of the garage. Anyone else have a wife that think your boat is a giant wheelbarrow for surplus winter storage.

Yeah, my wife thinks everything that can't fit in the house will magically fit into my shop.

My advice is to just smile, take it out to the shop, and chuck it when she's not looking. Works for me.

Dave

I couldn't see a wobble when spinning the prop today. I ran it about 5 miles after the incident last summer and didn't feel any vibrations, but the oil leak started right away. Haven't used it since. I'll take the mid section off and look at the driveshaft again. This motor has a threaded hose attachment. Is it ok to put it in gear when attached to the hose? (Apart from the danger of a twirling pop.) If I run it in a barrel, it blows most of the water out if I put in gear.

You can run it in gear on the hose. Just keep it to an idle if your going to work around it...take the prop off.

Don't run the engine with the threaded hose adapter. That is only for flushing with the engine off. Use the ear muffs to run the engine.

I guess I missed that he meant the engine adapter...as stated run a set of muffs off the leg....you need water going through the pump to keep it from melting.

Back