For the bleeding hearts out there... CAREFUL not a pretty video

Im pretty sure the guy in the truck must have been unarmed..who would sit around and watch that...

Last edited by a moderator:
[video]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=3&ved=0CCYQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dr3N kqbGsPB4&ei=0pIVVYX9Jo33oATQw4DIDA&usg=AFQjCNE0FWa_h5T4szRVF6EImryOJDLnfw&sig2=48PhxkhcbLbnu5y782xZDw2013 was the first year parks said no pets on cape scott trail due to wolves.love your pets by leashing them ,this will help keep them from eating sickly things or be eaten by predators.vacouver island has many of the biggest wolves in bc.

Really. I didn't think V.I wolves were really that big compared to those up North.

As per the video. The highway it was filmed from has probably killed, wounded and wasted more wildlife than the wolves in the area currently do. Just saying. Probably not legal to shoot from the Hwy. so putting the deer out of it's misery might get one into trouble, right or wrong. That's what wolves do and have always done. They have to to survive.

... vacouver island has many of the biggest wolves in bc.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Not Likely!

The wolves n the Island are in general smaller than their mainland kin. Especially so the farther North in the Province you wander.
They are also MUCH more hybridized with dogs here than anywhere else in the province.

I have shot literally hundreds of wolves. From Northern Alberta, BC and the Arctic, I was more than a little bit of a Scourge on them for many many years. Also shot a handful on the Island. Smaller Definitely. And the myriad of colors they come in here (as well as other physical characteristics) WELL indicate that many have sidled up to Fifi somewhere in their not-too-distant past.

As for the video, that is simply the Nature Of The Beast. No-one ever said Mother Nature is a Kind One. In fact, She is much more prone to being a Viscous ***** than most surmise. There is of course a place for wolves. Just when their populations soar to the levels we see these days in a great many BC areas they become a problem.

Cheers,
Nog

Just wolves doing what they do. Everyone's gotta eat. They may be out of balance with prey in certain areas.. So are seals in the strait of georgia.. and so are HUMANS!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Not Likely!

The wolves n the Island are in general smaller than their mainland kin. Especially so the farther North in the Province you wander.
They are also MUCH more hybridized with dogs here than anywhere else in the province.

I have shot literally hundreds of wolves. From Northern Alberta, BC and the Arctic, I was more than a little bit of a Scourge on them for many many years. Also shot a handful on the Island. Smaller Definitely. And the myriad of colors they come in here (as well as other physical characteristics) WELL indicate that many have sidled up to Fifi somewhere in their not-too-distant past.

As for the video, that is simply the Nature Of The Beast. No-one ever said Mother Nature is a Kind One. In fact, She is much more prone to being a Viscous ***** than most surmise. There is of course a place for wolves. Just when their populations soar to the levels we see these days in a great many BC areas they become a problem.

Cheers,
Nog
Was hoping you would chime in Matt! Great to have your expertise on wolf issues, especially the VI mongrels ..

Nog. The big bad Wolf killer. Now that's something to be so proud of...

Actually... At the time I Definitely WAS! ;)
In fact, there were more than a few years I made more coin off wolf hides than most will ever realize in a year of "wages".
Not an "easy" game by any means, just something it turned out I was Damn Good at.
And the ungulate populations in the areas I hunted them Very Much showed Positive Responses.

I've slowed on that these days, for a myriad of reasons. Probably foremost amongst those is the fact I raise & live with Wolf Hybrids (50%), although the Inuit also played a factor by naming the Wolf as my Kindred Spirit (and central to my Inuit name btw).

Got an issue with any of that, I could not care less. :rolleyes:
I'll simply refer you to my main by-line: "Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to NO-ONE!"

Cheers,
Nog

Couple things.

Yes it's nature doing its thing it's still difficult to watch something suffer. The deer is obviously in a lot of distress whether it was hit by a vehicle first or the wolves brought it down is beside the point,, it's suffering. We as humans are supposed to be a bit advanced in our thinking over animals so a little interference here would of been the decent thing to do.

As far as not shooting it. The video is obviously taken from a company vehicle as you can tell by the radio chatter. Sounds like a well operator either in northern AB or BC. At any rate guns are not allowed to be carried in company units. The fact it's beside a road,, trust me is not the issue,, not in the northern parts of our provinces.. Probably a company lease road.

Personely I would have pushed the wolves off,, if possible,, then taken a hammer to the head of the deer and ended the misery a bit quicker for it. Then whatever after you leave the wolves can have their meal..

If I would have been there with a gun.. The wolves would have died first cause well,, they're wolves they should die. Then the deer put out of its misery..

great post Nog , looks to be somewhere north in the video, They get pretty damn big in Northern Alberta i have seen some beasts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of wolves on a deer and we're all upset......
Didn't we all love watching the killer whales smash the snot out of that sea lion a few weeks ago near Hornby.

It's all a matter of perspective.

In fact, there were more than a few years I made more coin off wolf hides than most will ever realize in a year of "wages".
Not an "easy" game by any means, just something it turned out I was Damn Good at.
And the ungulate populations in the areas I hunted them Very Much showed Positive Responses.

I've slowed on that these days, for a myriad of reasons. Probably foremost amongst those is the fact I raise & live with Wolf Hybrids (50%), although the Inuit also played a factor by naming the Wolf as my Kindred Spirit (and central to my Inuit name btw).

I'll simply refer you to my main by-line: "Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to NO-ONE!"

Cheers,
Nog
A legend in your own mind, dude! Lol

Cheers,
Nog

A couple of wolves on a deer and we're all upset......
Didn't we all love watching the killer whales smash the snot out of that sea lion a few weeks ago near Hornby.

It's all a matter of perspective.

No it's a matter of logic. Again we are supposed to be a bit smarter than the animals.. The waters around the island are over ran by seals,, way over populated and they aren't good for much at that. Not prized for anything other than being a pain much like a gopher or any rodent. Yes they have some purpose to the Eco system I am sure but their numbers could be reduced by a huge amount with little consequences. Deer on the other hand are far from being over populated and they are prized eating animals used to sustain us as a food source if need be. You want to eat a stinky seal go ahead,, I'll watch. All rodents and vermin populations should be and have to be controlled seals and wolves both fit into this category.. Not eradicated,, but controlled..

Some bleeding heart idiots decided a few years ago seals were cute and cuddly now they are protected, why ?? They are nothing more than a rodent of the sea. Could you emagine if mice and gophers were protected,, same thing..

Last edited by a moderator:

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Couple rungs up the ladder from another Latte Sipper from Hope methinks!
tongue-new.png

If I would have been there with a gun.. The wolves would have died first cause well,, they're wolves they should die...

Some. Perhaps. Not All by any means! They Very Much have a role out there.
Regardless of one's emotions on the subject, they Belong as much or likely more than we do.

Cheers,
Nog

Oh I agree nog.. By no means do I think any animal should be eradicated,, but controlled yes.. But those two would have been part of my control operations heck,, two together at the same time how often do we get that chance lol..

I think you know where I am coming from..

Back