FN0294 FishingBC App Catch Log will now Sync to Your License and is a Valid Record, even when Offline

Little tricks: I was checked off Port Renfrew and had a couple of Springs on board. After verifying I had marked my license, he said he was going out in a few days and would I mind showing him what had worked for me. It was a T-Rex hoochie and I pointed the flasher and hoochie out to him. He immediately picked it up and checked the barb.

I've been checked in Renfrew on the water, we hadn't caught yet and they just asked about our barbs, didn't have to pull the gear. Used to see regular DFO/RCMP/CO/Forestry road blocks coming down from Port Hardy and in from Banfield in my heli logging days during the right season. Brother in law got checked at Thrasher last summer fishing for Ling, he'd forgotten his descending device and they gave him one. He said he never even noticed the boat until it was almost right beside him.

I was checked last week off Victoria.

Might reconsider if one decides to skim over privacy terms and conditions. Not sure why an APP of this nature requires so much personal info and what they want to do with it. Not happening here paper it'll be!!

In my lifetime, I can only remember being checked once (in Fresh of salt water) at Langara Fishing Lodge where you pay big $$, but in the day got to catch some impressive Chinooks. (One of my buddies caught a 52, and I got a 42 pounder that year about 15 years ago.)

Another Buddy still goes there every year (~30+ years in a row) but says it isn't what it used to be. I don't think he's ever been checked. (I'll ask him next time I catch up with him.)

I get checked around twice a year. Mainly at the Comox wharf and Union Bay. I got checked by a cute creel census gal several times as well. A real professional who knew what she was doing.... I appreciate the checks.

I get checked around twice a year. Mainly at the Comox wharf and Union Bay. I got checked by a cute creel census gal several times as well. A real professional who knew what she was doing.... I appreciate the checks.
The checks are a good thing. If is too bad that many people won't talk to the Creek Survey people, the info is very valuable and helps DFO make informed decisions. Well, sometimes they do.

The checks are a good thing. If is too bad that many people won't talk to the Creek Survey people, the info is very valuable and helps DFO make informed decisions. Well, sometimes they do.
I understand what you are saying Tinboat , but how long as DFO been collecting this data, at this point they must have all the information they need. They never seem to share any of this information, they only continue to cut or is it a make work program.

It is now law that a holder of a licence MUST provide info to Creel staff as well as completing the iRec Survey on line if selected. . Its printed right on the licence and I hear that a few people have now been charged and convicted for not providing the information..

CR Greg

It is now law that a holder of a licence MUST provide info to Creel staff as well as completing the iRec Survey on line if selected. . Its printed right on the licence and I hear that a few people have now been charged and convicted for not providing the information..

CR Greg
iREC notice just arrived in my email.

Subject: FN0330-RECREATIONAL - General Information - Mandatory online Internet Recreational Effort and Catch (iREC) reporting program for all Adult BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence holders.

iREC notice just arrived in my email.

Subject: FN0330-RECREATIONAL - General Information - Mandatory online Internet Recreational Effort and Catch (iREC) reporting program for all Adult BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence holders.
I don’t understand why they don’t ask for all the info stored on your license at the end of the year? For example number of Halibut, Lings and Springs. Been saying this for years but DFO doesn’t seem interested.

CR Greg
I can understand providing creel census data but
I've never heard of a mandatory survey ?
(even though it says condition of licence)

I get nicked to complete the survey sometimes a couple of times a year. I thought everybody did.

I can understand providing creel census data but
I've never heard of a mandatory survey ?
(even though it says condition of licence)
having mandatory reporting and mandatory participation in iRec as a Condition of Licence essentially makes it law. The charge would be failure to comply with a Condition of Licence.

CR Greg

I don’t understand why they don’t ask for all the info stored on your license at the end of the year? For example number of Halibut, Lings and Springs. Been saying this for years but DFO doesn’t seem interested.
That is one of the biggest benefits of e-licencing.. You are doing all that data entry for DFO.

CR Greg

That is one of the biggest benefits of e-licencing.. You are doing all that data entry for DFO.

CR Greg
This is to me even better. If it becomes a step to getting a new license, everyone provides the info to get a license. Plus you are not providing any info to third parties, you are giving your info to an organization that already has it. ( you’re renewing) This would get over reluctance to share personal info to yet another source as well ensure those who don’t have smartphones or computers have no excuse.
DFO should have no problem entering data, someone must be entering the Irec replies?

having mandatory reporting and mandatory participation in iRec as a Condition of Licence essentially makes it law. The charge would be failure to comply with a Condition of Licence.

CR Greg
Somehow a federal fisheries charge for failure to fill out a survey seems unlikely.
On the other hand, I could see a refusal for licence renewal.

Back