FN0294 FishingBC App Catch Log will now Sync to Your License and is a Valid Record, even when Offline

Hate to break it to you, but everyone’s personal data is online. Unless you don’t own a computer or smartphone, have zero accounts anywhere, and live in an off-grid shack in the woods.
Yeah, but that’s no reason to simply pump it out to anyone who asks for it. You can still protect or limit who has access to it.

Yeah, but that’s no reason to simply pump it out to anyone who asks for it. You can still protect or limit who has access to it.
Sorry are you worried about the DFO having your personal info? What do you think happens when you buy a licence.

Sorry are you worried about the DFO having your personal info? What do you think happens when you buy a licence.
Sorry I didn’t realize DFO handled the security for the BC Fishing App, odd it has its own security regs? Is the info I provided DFO accessible by those who run the BC Fishing APP? Funny they ask for permission to Link? Anyway back to the topic.

Sorry I didn’t realize DFO handled the security for the BC Fishing App, odd it has its own security regs? Is the info I provided DFO accessible by those who run the BC Fishing APP? Funny they ask for permission to Link? Anyway back to the topic.
Unless you use a private browser, VPN, ad blocker browser extension, password manager, DNS sink-hole, don’t shop online, never use public wifi, never use your credit card or bank account for instant payments, and don’t own a smartphone, then yeah I guess the next thing would be to avoid typing in some personal details into a not-for-profit fishing app. But data is never safe. See: Uber hack, Equifax hack, Visa hack, Facebook hack, Microsoft hack, Linkedin hack, Home Depot hack, Ebay hack, Adobe hack, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

Just providing some counterpoints to needless paranoia. Anyway, back on topic.

Unless you use a private browser, VPN, ad blocker browser extension, password manager, DNS sink-hole, don’t shop online, never use public wifi, never use your credit card or bank account for instant payments, and don’t own a smartphone, then yeah I guess the next thing would be to avoid typing in some personal details into a not-for-profit fishing app. But data is never safe. See: Uber hack, Equifax hack, Visa hack, Facebook hack, Microsoft hack, Linkedin hack, Home Depot hack, Ebay hack, Adobe hack, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

Needless Paranoia by suggesting it’s good to have an option?

Is it not like BC provincial hunting where the enforcement officer has your info on line? We should just have to prove I.D. and they can look it up. Would be a good way of stopping those who reprint their license when it is full. Just has to be made easy for everyone.

Is it not like BC provincial hunting where the enforcement officer has your info on line? We should just have to prove I.D. and they can look it up. Would be a good way of stopping those who reprint their license when it is full. Just has to be made easy for everyone.
unfortunately, DFO doesnt seem to have invested in that tech yet

CR Greg

Hate to break it to you, but everyone’s personal data is online. Unless you don’t own a computer or smartphone, have zero accounts anywhere, and live in an off-grid shack in the woods.
I salt my data on my devices. Been doing that since day one way back in 1998.

I don't think we need to insult each other's preferences. The app is a useful option. Paper is there for those who prefer it, regardless of why.

Just a question: I've been salt water fishing for 3 years, from shore and boats, pretty regularly. Victoria and Comox areas. Haven't been questioned by DFO once, and haven't even seen them. Do they cruise up on folks on the water? Wait at the marina? Stop cars on the road? Knock on doors?

Facebook hack? 99.37% of my info is fake. Don't forget what Mark Zuckerberg said about Facebook users.

I don't think we need to insult each other's preferences. The app is a useful option. Paper is there for those who prefer it, regardless of why.

Just a question: I've been salt water fishing for 3 years, from shore and boats, pretty regularly. Victoria and Comox areas. Haven't been questioned by DFO once, and haven't even seen them. Do they cruise up on folks on the water? Wait at the marina? Stop cars on the road? Knock on doors?
They like to lurk off spots with particularly complicated regs (think pulse fishing and tiny zones off Saanich inlet) and approach when your action begins

I fish 50 days a year on the salt and about the same in fresh. I haven't been checked for at least 10 years. I will probably stick to paper licenses. Very reliable. Never get hacked.

I have seen DFO at most of the South Island boat ramps, including lesser used ones like Mill Bay. Sometimes they hide in the bushes.;) They don't hang around long since word gets out. I think there they are targeting individuals through tips. I have also been checked on the water by DFO and RCMP at least once a season. A acquaintance office told me there are more out there than people see, and they know the little tricks people play.

I fish 50 days a year on the salt and about the same in fresh. I haven't been checked for at least 10 years. I will probably stick to paper licenses. Very reliable. Never get hacked.
Fishing in the salt since 2007. Never been checked. Fishing Mabel lake every few years during salmon season. Checked often. Sometimes twice in a day

Back