Flying wheel from boat trailer strikes 3 vehicles on Ontario's QEW, leaves man dead

It is SV.

And fresh water is way more forgiving than salt water when it comes to bearings and everything else.

Not sure what happened here (might not have been the bearing failure) - but I know once I had this happen to me. Luckily for me and others the tire came off on a divided highway and came off on the passenger side and sped off into the woods rather than into the incoming traffic. Also luckily it was a large boat/trailer combo so we still had 1 tire left on that passenger side to carry the weight.

What caused our failure was that the buddy bearing seized and melted off the spindle with the tire. We were lubricating to recommended standards with grease as recommended - which wasn't enuff in SW.

But afterwards, we always checked straps and bearings after about 15min of driving and checked for loosened straps and warm/hot bearings - AND (the imp part) - gave the buddy bearings a couple squirts after every time pulling the boat in SW to push out the SW. Never had any problems after that.

This is similar to what happened to a friend in Golden this year,on there annual bike cruise tire came off a boat trailer hit my buddy directly in the chest and the ensuing crash left his wife with multiple injuries. Freak tragic thing that im sure withsome maintenance and some diligence could have been avoided.

The parts in the pictures look almost new...the wheel nuts look brand new...wonder if the trailer was in the shop or had parts replaced recently. Even the brake drum looks like it was hardly used or recently turned.

Yeah it looks like the Bearing race is still there also. I'd say improper spindle nut. Maybe even was too tight. No cotter pin? Combo? Either way nut failure 100 percent

I am so paranoid about wheel bearings. I really don't wanna be that guy we've all seen in wandering around in the ditch in the mid-summer heat trying to find the missing wheel that flew off somewhere. Wife in the truck giving him the stink eye as she waits for the tow truck to arrive.

One pump of grease after each dunk, change bearings every 2 years regardless. On longer trips I carry an IR heat gun, check bearing temps at every stop and chalk the temp on the fender with a piece of soapstone so I can compare with next reading.

Back