flurocarbon leader

mr killer

Just wondering if anyone else on the forum is using flurocarbon leader trolling for Salmon, I know alot of people will say fluro leaders aren't good for salmon but I can't stop using it, it's been three years and I haven't had one leader break or one knot fail which is a good enough track record for me, ya I check the leaders every time for nicks and if there are I retie, I think it's got better knot strength than mono and it's stiffer and I don't know if this makes a difference but it's invisible under water, I swear by it just wondering if anyone else is using it too.

I've thought about it lots,even bought some. I haven't used it, listening to all the negitve feedback. I think that for the most part springs seem not to be leader shy, but who knows for sure?
Are you getting any fraying?

I used P-Line 30# last summer and had a problem with it breaking off. Could have been a bad batch. I was a long time fan but not anymore. I agree that salmon are not leader shy. I have been trying braided and I still caught lots. That said braided seems to twist up and that’s with new swivels. In the end I went back to mono. 30# for spoons, 40# for hootchies and bait. Barbender and mr Killer what brand's are you using?
GLG

I'm with GLG, fraying and breakage a side - what the point? 40-150 down I don't think anything is going to be leader shy and chinooks sure don't seem to be.

I'm using Ande 40 or 50 and I've never had it fray, I've fished the same leader for a weekend landed 2 tyee and multiple 25+ all on the same leader it doesn't stretch and weaken like mono, I think like anything there's good stuff and bad stuff, the Ande is good, I just couldn'timagine using mono for leaders again, sounds like there's one other guy out there using it too, nice

mr Killer .. 40 or 50 # wow! No wonder you have had no break offs. If it’s working for you as you say than, good on you. I do think that the stuff I used must have been bad. I mostly fish with 3 1/2 spoons so I would be worried that such large leader would harm the action. Glad to here that you can still bring them to the boat with that size of <s>rope</s> leader.
GLG

I usually use 40 but if I'm fishing the west coast I'll use 50, I'm ready for that 70, that's my thinking, and I actually like that stiffer leader for the action it puts on the spoon I fish a 4 coyotes all the time and the stiffer leader gives the spoon a nice action in the water.

I tried 30 lb Seagar flouro on my anchovies and cut plug leaders this season and continued to also fish my usual Maxima Ultragreen 20 and 25 lb. I didn't find any difference in catch rate or knot strength/break offs. I retie my leaders a lot and find the flouro too pricey. I am sticking to Ultragreen.

I use min. 40. sometimes 50 and I still break leaders. sometimes when the bites on hot and heavy, I cant even keep up. (having 2 or 3 spare anchovies loaded and pre rolled). Usually at this point, im loading anchovies as as I need them so i cut corners wherever I can to capitalize on the bite.. and yea, I do lose the odd fish as a result. Id definately like to give the flurocarbon a try.

I tried fluoro this year and really liked the action imparted on the artificial gear-especially on hoochies.The one problem I had with it, and maybe it's my meathook hands is trying to tie knots with it.Maybe not the best line to tie a trilene or double clinch knot?

Back