Fluorocarbon vs Regular Mono for Saltwater Leaders

I was hoping to get everyone's opinion and/or experience with using fluorocarbon vs regular mono for leaders in the chuck! My background is fly fishing in the interior, so I am used to fluoro making a huge difference. What does everyone think about using fluoro for leaders with hoochies, spoons, plugs and chovies? In your experience, does it make a big difference?

Thanks for your input!

I come from the same background. I use both mono and flouro for leaders. I find that I use flouro more for its stiffness than its strength. 40lb flouro is so stiff that it lets me run longer leaders for hootchies and still maintain good actiion on the lure. If I were using mono, I would have to run a shorter leader to get the same amount of action to translate from the flasher to the hootchie.

As an added bonus, flouro is extremely tough and abrasion resistant. That means I have to re-tie leaders less often. It is stronger per diameter as compared to mono too. I don't think that really makes a lot of difference in the chuck though.

I use mono on anything that has its own action (plug, spoon, teaser head).

I've never seen a difference-Salmon just don't care given how murky the ocean is around here-plus it's a PITA to tie.

For some people it's an excuse to spend money and gives them a warm comfortable feeling-whatever.

I heard with Flouro you need to be careful with knots though, correct? I think I saw on a show once, if you do not tie the terminal knots properly it is very abrasive when it is knotted on itself and can break very easily!
Is that with the older Fluorocarbon or is it still an issue with the new stuff?

I've never seen a difference-Salmon just don't care given how murky the ocean is around here-plus it's a PITA to tie.

For some people it's an excuse to spend money and gives them a warm comfortable feeling-whatever.

Really has nothing to do with fish seeing it or not..more about how few leaders I have tie.... got leaders that have lasted over 50 springs before changing out.. its more about time & does save money...depends on your what and where I guess.. ...:)

I know that most use 40 or even 50 pound or stronger mono for hootchies but how strong can you go with flouro leaders. I received some 80 pound flouro leader material. Is this too large or would you just increase the leader length as it is stiffer than mono. I may have some 60 pound as well, is this better or just stick with lighter strength. I imagine you guys are talking about 40 pound leader for flouro on most of your leaders?

Used 50 # Floro for years on hootchies. Gives it a nice "whip" due to stiffness of the line. Allows a Nootka length leader to be used.

Drewski

Some of the urban myths about floro are just that. I'm a convert. Only use mono for spoons, and only because I prefer a leader line that isn't so stiff so the spoon can work more freely. Floro takes a beating more so than mono hands down.

I wouldn't use #80 fluoro. 25 or 30 mono for spoons or bait. 30 or 40 for hootchies. I tie most of my leaders with fluoro, and I do believe it makes a difference. I think 30 fluoro is good all around. Has worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that most use 40 or even 50 pound or stronger mono for hootchies but how strong can you go with flouro leaders. I received some 80 pound flouro leader material. Is this too large or would you just increase the leader length as it is stiffer than mono. I may have some 60 pound as well, is this better or just stick with lighter strength. I imagine you guys are talking about 40 pound leader for flouro on most of your leaders?

80lb should be fine, but you just need to run a longer leader. Play with it and see how it does. I've heard commercial trollers use 80lb+ for their leaders and they obviously catch fish. The one thing I would think would be a problem would be your ability to tie a good knot. I would probably move to a crimp sleeve to get my hooks attached. This way you're not trying to tie something so thick and stiff. All you'd have to do is run your line once through your 5/0 octopus hooks and crimp. Fast, easy and you dont need to go out and get anything more than a few crimps to tie up a ton of leaders.

Another plus to running a heavy 80lb leader material would be you could really spruce up your hoochies. For instance, you could run mini B-2 squids as hoochie inserts and not have to worry at all about the lure weight dampening the action. Or you could run glass beads as spacers, spinner blades in front of hoochies, etc. etc. You get some more options to play with.

I think you need to stick with the tried and true method of finding the bait. Because if the fish are feeding, I would imagine a cut plug hot dog would work.

"?Nootka Length" leaders are typically 5 - 6 feet long. Guys at Uclulet often follow the 2 & 1/2 wrap of the flasher method, or even shorter. For whatever reason, a lot of the boats fishing Gold River go long, and it works, but the action on the hootchie suffers. A stiff floro leader makes a big difference to deliver action on such long lengths.

Drewski

wait till you take out a beginner and they wrap it around something they aren't supposed to. You get your fish and tackle with flouro. Mono you get a "it was this big story"

I heard with Flouro you need to be careful with knots though, correct? I think I saw on a show once, if you do not tie the terminal knots properly it is very abrasive when it is knotted on itself and can break very easily!
Is that with the older Fluorocarbon or is it still an issue with the new stuff?
This is from the Berkley Web site.

If you cinch down a knot without wetting the line, fluorocarbon will fail. However, a properly tied and moistened Palomar Knot or Trilene Knot provides excellent knot strength.

Another topic that has been discussed in great depth here previously and we all have our own views on it.

I experimented rather extensively with fluorocarbon for ocean Chinook and Coho fishing and came to the conclusion that it was not necessary, not worth the rather exceptional cost compared to good mono leader and may actually result in more lost salmon from break offs.

Unlike well fed trout in a crystal clear mountain stream, salmon are not leader shy at all so there is no reason to have a leader that is a little harder to see under water at considerable extra cost. I even know of one fisherman who for some strange reason was using neon high res main line for leader (not something I would do as that stuff is designed to be seen) and was still getting lots of hook ups on Chinook and Coho.

If you want to increase your number of hookups and salmon in the boat in my opinion there are better ways to spend that extra money. If fluoro was any significant advantage for ocean salmon both the top guides and commercial fisherman would be buying it in bulk and using it extensively and neither are from what I have seen and heard.

Beyond that, I have found that it is more difficult to tie good consistent knots with the stuff compared to good mono, especially in the larger diameters and with more complex knots, although a drop of herring oil on the line as you cinch up the knot does help.

Further I examined the fluorocarbon knots I have tied with a jewelers loop (10 time magnification) and found that it was not that uncommon for them to show signs of internal stress fractures where they were pulled tight at the knot almost like you may see in a thick hunk of glass that has had a small impact. I think it is because it is very hard like optical plastic used in eyeglass and therefore more likely to fracture or break than the more stretchy mono leader and we did seem to have more break offs over time than with the same test mono line. Granted that extra hardness does give it a little better teeth abrasion resistance but that is a fairly minimal advantage.

Since we have moved to heavier good quality mono leader (especially with flashers) and change it out when it has teeth abrasions or has play a fair number of fish, it has been years since we have had a break off and I think our hook up rate is pretty darn good in our area for larger salmon.

People will use what they have confidence in and ultimately having confidence in you gear will put more fish in the boat and of course experimenting is half the fun.

Well you said it rockfish, I'm far more confident and comfortable fishing a leader that I know has superior abrasion resistance. Particularly important for 7 to 8 foot chovie leaders. I can re-use a floro leader several times, as opposed to a mono leader that will often only last 1 fish. All the time lost changing leaders using mono makes me less efficient on the water, and when the bite is on getting your gear back into the water quickly is the difference between some fish and lots of fish. Its not about fooling the fish with invisible line.

Buddy gave me a roll ( no charge promo stuff)
I have only used for a couple trips but so far I'm impressed.
The knots are a little harder to tie, other than that it's great

I think I know the stuff you speak off Scott....from Trotac? Cheaper than the usual Seaguar stuff?

I ran my abrasion tests on it and it held up very well and at 1/3 the price of Seaguar if we are talking about the same stuff.

If not, ignore me.

Back