Floater Suit

LouDogII

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'd like to buy my wife a good all weather suit to keep her dry and warm on the water...well on the boat, in the water[8D]. The suits the charter guys outfit the guest in look like the ticket. I've never chartered, so have never worn them, but I think they are floater suits. Any idea where a fella would start looking for them? West Marine has survival suits (with booties and everything) and sailing type all weather clothes but no floater suits that I could find.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter...

Depending on where you are it is worthwhile to check Steveston Marine. I am almost positive they carry Mustang...but as others have said check online for a used one. I have seen them on Craigslist as well.

Thanks for your input. I'll look up Steveston, Pippen. I'm more interested in getting her a new one. Although I did look on usedvictoria.com, and there was one men's medium, but she'd swim in that...no pun intended.

Thanks again for the help.

Scooter

Scooter,

That's probably my suit that you saw on usedvitoria. It would be too big for her if she is average size.

If you're in Victoria you should be able to find a new Mustang floater suit at either Trotac in James Bay or Capital Iron as well.

Good luck.

Two things about Cruiser Suits, they are great but</u>

1-there's often a draft down a person's neck, a light wool or silk scarf is a good idea.

2-they can leak in heavy rain, not a lot but it does happen around the shoulders/arms.

A Cruiser Suit might fit the needs.... but look here,
http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/
there is alot of choice under recreation.
Don't be scared to try it out at the wharf one day just to see what it is like to be in the water in whatever you chose to wear. TRY It OUT.
I carry a number of different suits and each have different purpose from full immersion to casual wear. I highly recommend their stuff.
Dogbreath has worn his some to know those tips. Another is to 'scotch guard' your suit as it gets a little older and begins to leak rain. Good Luck ;)

Good advice to try lot's before you buy, We've been trying for a couple of years yet to find one that'll fit my wife, most are made for males and don't fit the "different" shape of females, also the arm lengths are longer on the male ones.

Wow guys, great info. I been surfing and checking out all the suggested sites and researching all the options. I know I'll be able to find one now.

Hmmmm, trying the suit out may be difficult...she ain't gonna like that at all[:0]. Maybe I can suprise her with a pop test :D. If you guys read about me being lost at sea, that will probably turn out to be the day I popped the test.

"God, I hope she doesn't sell my fishin' gear for the price I told her I paid for it"[:eek:)]

Much appreciated,
Scooter

quote:Originally posted by Scooter

Thanks for your input. I'll look up Steveston, Pippen. I'm more interested in getting her a new one. Although I did look on usedvictoria.com, and there was one men's medium, but she'd swim in that...no pun intended.

Thanks again for the help.

Scooter

If you let me know size I can check for you as I should be in there in the next couple of days.

Pippen,

That's okay. My wife and I should go together so she can try the various sizes on to get the right one. Thanks for the offer tho'.

Scooter

I have the mustange integrity Jacket and pants.
I love the pants..The Jacket is not quite designed for women..I find the jacket uncomfortable around the armpits.. it is just not cut for a woman..I also have a girlfriend that has the jacket and she does not find it comfortable as well..but when it is really cold we both wear them!
Just food for thought from a woman's point of view!!!

You may want to consider separates. I had a (Mustang floater) jacket, bib pants and a full suit. I sold the suit as I rarely wore it since it was too bulky and too hot unless it was really ugly.

I have way more mobility and comfort with bib pants and a warm fleece.

(as a husband, I know the importance of keeping the wife comfortable and happy)

Back