Flasher Modifications

Chinook Said; If it ain't broken don't fix it! Waste of time!:(<div align="left"></div id="left"> That's exactly what the Neandrathal Man said about his favorite rock. It's folks that think outside the box that stumble onto something every now and then. I think anything is worth a try. Have you ever picked up something and thought to yourself, I wonder who in the heck thought of that? Keep up the research and keep trying to learn more about your interests. Good topic! Mike

Clinging to my Guns and Religion. www.KoneZone.com

Chinook Said; If it ain't broken don't fix it! Waste of time!:(<div align="left"></div id="left"> That's exactly what the Neandrathal Man said about his favorite rock. It's folks that think outside the box that stumble onto something every now and then. I think anything is worth a try. Have you ever picked up something and thought to yourself, I wonder who in the heck thought of that? Keep up the research and keep trying to learn more about your interests. Good topic! Mike

Clinging to my Guns and Religion. www.KoneZone.com

You would be amazed!......
I played around with a lot of gear (not flashers) with ....some.... fantastic results.

A few years back on the commercail boat we would mark non-fish catching flashers (on sockeye). Incredible the difference a slight variation can make

I played around with a lot of gear (not flashers) with ....some.... fantastic results.

A few years back on the commercail boat we would mark non-fish catching flashers (on sockeye). Incredible the difference a slight variation can make

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Unfortunately I cannot lay claim to fame of any of the flasher tricks as these have been around a long time and taught to me as a youth.

The willow leaf blade(s) generates a tremendous amount of noise and will work extremely well in areas with a lot of boats on the water or when bait and fish are scattered- draw them in!

The drilled holes give off an entirely different sound signature and simply out produces the standard flasher year around.

The "V" notch will produce a pronounced wave or wobble in the rotation of the flasher giving a unique lure action.

The intent of the article was to offer a "new look" at some very old ideas... Experimenting is half the fun on the water. Above all, I hope that some of you give these tricks a go. I feel you will be more than pleasantly surprised!

CDR

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

Thanks for your reply CD. Just want you to know that by no means was my intention to slag you in any way - just start a good conversation. I'm thinking of doing a few flasher mods myself. Keep up the good work.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Thanks capitan, I think i might just have to give some of these a try. Very good thread! Lets keep it up, and have some more solid input!

-Steve

Captain -- great site you've created there. If you ever have an excuse to get to Victoria let us know -- I bet there are enough of us around if you ever wanted to give one of your talks to a bunch of Canadians.

"Captain -- great site you've created there. If you ever have an excuse to get to Victoria let us know -- I bet there are enough of us around if you ever wanted to give one of your talks to a bunch of Canadians"

Agreed, I would be up for attending that presentation.

Also Captain D. I was on your site yesterday to review the "Hootchie tricks" you had up on your "rigging" page. I assume that your site is down for construction purposes, as it suggests, because I can't pull up the page on the flasher mods either? Might be interesting to try a couple of those variations with those detailed on the flasher page, once I get to review them a little closer.

Thanks for the input though CD, interesting ideas.

'Hawk

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Thanks for the article on flasher mods. Modding your tackle is half the fun to fishing. I often drill holes on one side of my buzz bombs to give them more erratic action.

The appears to be working fine on my end. I was making deliveries this morning and showing the buyers the new site- working there too!

Might be an overload of traffic... You try to refresh the main page as this will upload any changes.

quote:Originally posted by Captain Downriggin

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Unfortunately I cannot lay claim to fame of any of the flasher tricks as these have been around a long time and taught to me as a youth.

The willow leaf blade(s) generates a tremendous amount of noise and will work extremely well in areas with a lot of boats on the water or when bait and fish are scattered- draw them in!

The drilled holes give off an entirely different sound signature and simply out produces the standard flasher year around.

The "V" notch will produce a pronounced wave or wobble in the rotation of the flasher giving a unique lure action.

The intent of the article was to offer a "new look" at some very old ideas... Experimenting is half the fun on the water. Above all, I hope that some of you give these tricks a go. I feel you will be more than pleasantly surprised!

CDR

Ok...anyone wanna be a test fisher for these tricks? Let's use them all together!!!

Someone be the stooge, run these flasher and hootchie riggin' tips and report back!!!

:D

Have fun with that.. I'll fish BAIT!!!

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician
Ok...anyone wanna be a test fisher for these tricks? Let's use them all together!!!

Dunno if I'd label it being a "stooge" there fella. I've been experimenting for a great many years with spoons, flasher and hootchies, and we have indeed come up with a few ideas that worked well. Something to being in the top 5% of the troll fleet that reflects that methinks.

Kinda like one or two of the flasher mods, and will be testing them shortly when we next get out there. Will of course report back how well they work running against our already proven gear.

Cheers,
Nog - NOT a "Stooge" by any means

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Dunno if I'd label it being a "stooge" there fella. I've been experimenting for a great many years with spoons, flasher and hootchies, and we have indeed come up with a few ideas that worked well. Something to being in the top 5% of the troll fleet that reflects that methinks.

Kinda like one or two of the flasher mods, and will be testing them shortly when we next get out there. Will of course report back how well they work running against our already proven gear.

Cheers,
Looking forward to hearing about that-Thanks

Being on a commercial vessel you already have a baseline of results/data to work with and so your results will have some weight.

Back when I sold tackle I met a Guy who's friend was a commercial troller.They hit upon the idea of testing the Pro Troll flashers the ones with the chip that's supposed to be so effective, all Pro Troll flashers one side regular flashers on the other.

Didn't quite work out since all the chips on the Pro Trolls fell off under real world working conditions! [:eek:)] :D

As to the poster known as Fishin' Magician, he has little credibility here, his posts aren't nearly the quality this board sees daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

I've had the same trouble with those echip lures.
I use the 1-1/2 inch apex type lure for kokanee and the echip usually falls off the first day.

Since they are made in China I'm not suprised.

john

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Cheers,
Looking forward to hearing about that-Thanks

Being on a commercial vessel you already have a baseline of results/data to work with and so your results will have some weight.

Back when I sold tackle I met a Guy who's friend was a commercial troller.They hit upon the idea of testing the Pro Troll flashers the ones with the chip that's supposed to be so effective, all Pro Troll flashers one side regular flashers on the other.

Didn't quite work out since all the chips on the Pro Trolls fell off under real world working conditions! [:eek:)] :D

As to the poster known as Fishin' Magician, he has little credibility here, his posts aren't nearly the quality this board sees daily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Dogbreath..hmmmm...

Quality of posts the board sees daily...yep...in case Iron Noggin missed the :D:D:D faces of my TONGUE IN CHEEK post..which Noggin' knows me...

Credibility eh....Dogbreath...I'm not going to turn this into trading blows but I'll tell you one thing, before you talk about credibility, get out there and catch some fish!!!!!

You and I have a past on this forum and others, and I'm not taking the bait..your trolled bait! Better sharpen your hooks ;)

BTW Nog, I have a handle on some discontinued hootchies you mentioned you were looking for...PM for details. There's a company in Seattle who has quite a bit of old stock. I got my hands on a few dozen. They still have some as well...and they work GREAT! [8D]

Back