Fixed re-boarding ladder

Explorer682

Is it a Transport Canada requirement that you shall have a “Fixed reboarding Ladder” for a 26’ boat? My boat came out of the US and has a reboarding ladder but it’s the removable type so I never install it on each outing ….pain in the butt as .

Yes, you should have a means of reboarding. Mine is a telescoping ladder that folds under the swim platform. I use it to reboard after a summer swim.

If you ever fall into the cold ocean, you have only 3 or 4 minutes to reboard before your muscles become ineffective. Even with help, it can be difficult, with soaked clothing and your boots filled. Make that reboarding quick and easy.

Required for 6 to 9 meter vessels:

Personal Lifesaving Equipment​

• 1 Canadian-approved lifejacket or PFD of appropriate size for each person on board
  • 1 buoyant heaving line at least 15 m (49’3”) in length OR 1 lifebuoy attached to a buoyant line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
  • *1 reboarding device

Vessel Safety Equipment​

• 1 manual propelling device OR 1 anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) made of cable, rope or chain in any combination
  • 1 bailer or manual bilge pump (See Note 1)

Visual Signals​

• 1 watertight flashlight
  • 6 pyrotechnic distress signals other than smoke signals (See Note 2)

Navigation Equipment​

• 1 sound-signalling device or appliance
  • **Navigation lights
  • ***1 magnetic compass
  • 1 radar reflector (See Note 3)

Fire Fighting Equipment​

• 1 5BC fire extinguisher if equipped with a motor
  • 1 5BC fire extinguisher if equipped with a fuel burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be "fixed", as in permanently mounted in place.... Just has to be readily available in case of emergency. As Foxsea says though, a person doesn't have a lot of time if you fall over the side.

We have a boat collapsible rope and plastic ladder that can be thrown over the side. With that I think we would be in technical compliance for having a re-boarding device. A solid ladder would be better. After that, if you don't have a ladder, there are the better than nothing and may not be in compliance methods. You should have a ladder but if you end up in the water on someones boat without one, turn the outboard motor/s off, then slide yourself up onto the full boat width and very large Al pod deck, like the one we have, which is just barely above sea level, them stand up and step over the transom. Same if it has a near water level swim grid but no ladder. A related method is to turn off the outboard motor/s, them step on the outboard cavitation plate and then push up and over into the low motor well and then into the boat or onto a pod. In my foolish youth we did the outboard cavitation plate method a lot while water skiing - should of had a ladder.

Another method that is better than nothing, if you have no ladder, outboards, pod or swim grid is to have a rope from bow to stern with enough bow in it that it can be pushed down into the water with your hand about a foot and a half to two feet when needed, then step onto the rope to help propel you to step up and over the side of the boat. Not as good as a ladder and dependent on the boat not having to much free board unless you have a 2nd rope over the side with a foot loop on it. You may need to be at least somewhat fit, but better than nothing if you end up in the water on someones boat and they don't have a ladder, no outboard etc. The main point is; get a ladder.

Back