Fix or replace axels

I have an 85 sea ox on the same year trailer. Axels are 5 or 6000 drop axels. Hydrolic brakes on 1 axel. Last year had a wreck and blew out a bearing which lead to snapping off a spindle. Cost me a day on the charlottes and an ugly bill. Couldn't track down a large spindle so I'm left with an odd ball rim and tire with undersized spindle. Rv other 3 tires have good tread but rubber looks pretty old. Should I bite the bullet and go with 2 new axels with electric brakes? If so can anyone suggest where to shop and what to look for? I plan on at least a few more trips down the rennell sound hill. I'm also moving to vernon so I think I should upgrade the brakes to go over the coquahala (sp).

Whatever you decide do not go with electric brakes-you're throwing good money after bad. Sounds to me like the trailer rebuild is going to cost you much more than a good used trailer. I would look in that direction or may even check out a new trailer-could be cheaper in the long run! Good luck.

Not sure where you live but I would suggest going to (or phoning) Roadrunner trailers on Mitchell Island and talk to Mike. He is a straight shooter and will give you some prices on a brand new trailer or he can repair yours or he will sell you parts. You want to go with electric over hydraulic brakes.

Back