fitting a trailer

Hey All,

So i purchased a boat last fall, and needed a trailer. After looking at the used options, it was pretty clear i needed something new. Anyways, the Victoria based dealer i bought the Roadrunner Trailer from couldnt get me out of the yard fast enough...no interest in helping me fit the expboat to the trailer. Is that to be expected in these transactions?

So, now i need to adjust a couple things...i'm hoping not the bunks in addition to the 'post', but it's entirely possible. Does anyone know someone in victoria i could pay a reasonable amount for this? Do you have any suiggestions on how to approach it myself?

Boat is a late 1990's lifetimer 2700, and trailer is a 2019 Roadrunner 8500#.

Thanks!

I have the exact same roadrunner 8500 lb trailer for our hourston. Nothing on it that can't be adjusted, just a matter of correctly placed supports to jack up the boat and support it while you make adjustments. In my case i just had a good look before launching at what I wanted to adjust, launched it and made the changes in small amounts while the boat was in the water.

Pretty easy to do...like above just look at where your bunks are now and measure how much they have to be moved...launch the boat..adjust..reload and keep repeating until perfect. The most important part of the setup is the tongue weight. Move the winch post until the hull sits where you want it on the bunks for support. If the tongue weight is to heavy or to light you then launch the boat then move the axles forward or to the rear to adjust. Again trail and error until you have it. Just make sure when done the axles are straight by measuring to the same point on either side of the frame to the same point on the axles.

thanks guys. Profisher, your comment actually made me more inclined to get experienced help. lol. When your day to day business slows down, i'd be happy to offer you some cash to meet me at a ramp for a few hours to get it sorted. and tell me the magic lines at otter point, haha! just kidding. Boat balancing only.

FWIW i have a 1 ton cummins diesel, so i think i have a bit of leeway with being tongue heavy...the engine sure ain't light.

Hardest one to get right and the worst important is the tongue weight and set up the mast. Road runner should have a manual that explains how to set up tongue weight correctly, if not I think the downloadable Load Rite does and there should be a good boat trailer setup video on YouTube.

"Posts" are the loading posts? Easy to measure the widest point on your gunnels then make them just a couple inch wider at that hight in your driveway.

Tongue weight and bunk setup, I would recommend a windy evening at esquimalt. anglers with a reasonable tide, so no one else will be launching.

Do you have a rechargeable impact gun with deep impact sockets? Also Cresent wrenches and combination wrenches? I would also recommend some never seize lube but I don't know if it will have any positive effect in salt?

I'd be happy to trade a helping hand for a tuna trip on a 27 lifetime if you have newer dual power :), plus a share of the gas. I'm not the best member for doing this type of work but also not the worst. If you are in Sooke/Langford I can ask a couple of mechanics.

You didn't buy from Tomcat trailers did you? Owner was good for helping me with my trailer, but some people aren't fans. Might be worth asking him, he loves to fish.

Hey All,

So i purchased a boat last fall, and needed a trailer. After looking at the used options, it was pretty clear i needed something new. Anyways, the Victoria based dealer i bought the Roadrunner Trailer from couldnt get me out of the yard fast enough...no interest in helping me fit the expboat to the trailer. Is that to be expected in these transactions?

So, now i need to adjust a couple things...i'm hoping not the bunks in addition to the 'post', but it's entirely possible. Does anyone know someone in victoria i could pay a reasonable amount for this? Do you have any suiggestions on how to approach it myself?

Boat is a late 1990's lifetimer 2700, and trailer is a 2019 Roadrunner 8500#.

Thanks!
If it's correct about what you said about the dealer offering no help then it doesn't say much about them.
I am looking for a 10000lb trailer and will bear that in mind if I have to resort to buying a new one.

If it's correct about what you said about the dealer offering no help then it doesn't say much about them.
I am looking for a 10000lb trailer and will bear that in mind if I have to resort to buying a new one.

It was Alpine marine, now have a new name...Ina I believe. They did (begrudgingly) install a warranty replacement winch on the trailer, as the original one was warped. they wanted me to deal with road runner and install it myself, but did they replacement when i pushed them.

Hardest one to get right and the worst important is the tongue weight and set up the mast. Road runner should have a manual that explains how to set up tongue weight correctly, if not I think the downloadable Load Rite does and there should be a good boat trailer setup video on YouTube.

"Posts" are the loading posts? Easy to measure the widest point on your gunnels then make them just a couple inch wider at that hight in your driveway.

Tongue weight and bunk setup, I would recommend a windy evening at esquimalt. anglers with a reasonable tide, so no one else will be launching.

Do you have a rechargeable impact gun with deep impact sockets? Also Cresent wrenches and combination wrenches? I would also recommend some never seize lube but I don't know if it will have any positive effect in salt?

I'd be happy to trade a helping hand for a tuna trip on a 27 lifetime if you have newer dual power :), plus a share of the gas. I'm not the best member for doing this type of work but also not the worst. If you are in Sooke/Langford I can ask a couple of mechanics.

You didn't buy from Tomcat trailers did you? Owner was good for helping me with my trailer, but some people aren't fans. Might be worth asking him, he loves to fish.

Haha, I don't think a tuna trip is in the cards this year, as i still want to get to know the boat better before going 80 miles offshore. I will give Tomcat Trailers a call.

Had to put the boat on a new trailer about 3 years ago - took it to Sherwood Marine, I think it cost about $350.00 and they did all the adjusting and set up. Was worth it.

Back