Fishing the Work Channel

A

Alberta Mad Dog

Getting close to my annual trip down that lovely road into the Work Channel. Anyone been down that road lately? Any good stories from this area yet?

I am going to go and have a look tomorrow, supposed to a storm warning on the outside so don't know if I will venture out to far - will let you know about the road.

Good luck. we did ok last year in the last week in June but the netting boats we crazy just like the weather was just on the outside. I tried fishing Hali inside the channel but no luck (only flounder) have you seen anyone catch hali in the channel? The tide seems too swift.

Between Dudevoir and Paradise passeges can be good inside the mouth. Quottoon Inlet produces well too.

Kev.

Went down the road yesterday. It is in typical shape - it took 45 minutes to get in. Ran all the way to Indian Head and trolled for 1/2 hour before and thunder and lightning show chased me into shore. Fished another couple hours for salmon before pulling the pin. Couple of bombers and one ling. Reports at the campground are that things are pretty slow for chinook right now.

Went down the road yesterday. It is in typical shape - it took 45 minutes to get in. Ran all the way to Indian Head and trolled for 1/2 hour before and thunder and lightning show chased me into shore. Fished another couple hours for salmon before pulling the pin. Couple of bombers and one ling. Reports at the campground are that things are pretty slow for chinook right now.

Thanks for the input. These are the same places I tried last year but only a few flounder and not even a sniff in Q bay. Just looking forward to getting out in 2 weeks. I hope things pick up and the weather gets better. The road just never seems in good shape but that's part of the game. If you guys hear of anything drop me a line and I'll do the same.

I used to fish this area quite a bit years ago. Lots of halibut at the channel head but you have to fish it during slower tide movements. Rupert has the biggest tide changes on the BC coast, 20ft+ tide changes happen every month. Generally if your on a big tide shift day (17ft+ change), don't bother fishing if the tide is moving fast in the channel. Fish only on plus or minus (1/2hr) on either slack tide. Definitely wait for this 'shift', it can be deadly but its only for a short period. On the low tide change days (14ft-), you can sometimes fish throughout the tide change and catch fish.

If you a bigger boat and you want halis, fish the outside.......plenty of hali out there and BIG.

Why Work Channel?

The campground is usually full of Albertans with oversized rigs hogging any available space (Why do they need a big freezer and generator when the limit is 2 days catch?)

The road is 10 km but takes about an hour only to launch your boat on rock to try to intercept the occasional salmon or halibut that makes a wrong right turn.

Its a nice patch of water for a smaller boat but...

I've "fished" it a few times but found that the fishing was better at the mouth of the Skeena launching out of Port Ed. You have to watch the wind a bit more but Humpback Bay or Edye Pass are within range of smaller (18') boats.

Good luck anyway!

Gordo, two days catch is still a considerable amount of fish which should not be wasted. I know it looks bad but some love their fish and if they stick to the limit then it should be ok.
I have witnessed BC residents in the past fishing the Skeena and catching what they can in their children's name and scooting the catch home and back the same day for more.:(:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

i am going there in about 10 days. are recent road/fishing updates

There have been updates on Fishtactics.com and Work channel has been mentioned.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Just got back and the fishing ok. The Salmon were small but lots of hits. The hali fishing was good - one double header in less than 10 minutes makes for a quick day for those bad boys. No big ones 15-25lbs. The weather was great for the most part. There was commercial Prawning boats in the channel which set within 100ft of my set - not impressed. And caught one local pulling my trap on the last day (I hope his trip back was long and rough). And a note for those that camp out there-- Put your food away. We had a young Grizzly in camp every day and he hit 2 camps in 5 days. The bear loses every time because some people. One of which commented "Bears gotta eat too". A few can create a dangerous situation. keep the reports coming.

Just got back and the fishing ok. The Salmon were small but lots of hits. The hali fishing was good - one double header in less than 10 minutes makes for a quick day for those bad boys. No big ones 15-25lbs. The weather was great for the most part. There was commercial Prawning boats in the channel which set within 100ft of my set - not impressed. And caught one local pulling my trap on the last day (I hope his trip back was long and rough). And a note for those that camp out there-- Put your food away. We had a young Grizzly in camp every day and he hit 2 camps in 5 days. The bear loses every time because some people. One of which commented "Bears gotta eat too". A few can create a dangerous situation. keep the reports coming.

the bears were starting to get dangerous. when we left july 2 wife had to stand guard over a sow and her cub while i loaded the truck camper. they had gotten so used to the campers they would not scare off any more

It's just a matter of time before something bad happens. Glad to know you & your wife are ok "gasman". How did you guys make out fishing? I've been hearing some good report from Rupert.

prawns were great, crabbing was and salmon was good, but we were slow on the bottom fishing. other guys i talked to were doing well, we just had bad luck, guess that's why its called fishing not grocery shopping

While fishing Dundas Island area I had my four prawn traps stolen on me. I am leery about buying more if this is going to happen again.So far two springs 48 and 34 one hali of 50lbs two 20 lb lings.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

we lost 2 crab and 1 prawn trap in Quontoon in early july. i am pretty sure it was a commercial boat. one came by as we were trolling indian head, was in the channel for about an hour. when we went back at the end of the day all our traps were gone and a string of commercial prawn traps was set in quontoon.

I think that is what happened to mine, but no proof. I think I will buy two and try that. I have only been catching enough for a couple of feeds but maybe they think they have sole rights. I have been pushed off my trolling tack by a fish boat and it was not accidental. This was near work channel.
Hmmm maybe one of those big fifties might get me some elbow room.:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Back