Fishing scenarios......

Seafever

First a question:-

Do you find that fishing early (dawnbreaker) is your best fishing time regardless?

or do you just fish the slacks regardless of time of day?

Do you find that fishing early (dawnbreaker) is even better if there is a slack tide inside of two hours after sunup?

Do you find that fishing an exact slack time of either low or high is a best producer regardless of time of day?

Do you find that often a couple of hours later on after a low slack is better than the slack itself ( I often do)....and ditto for a high slack if that's what works in your area....

Just curious as to how many people believe that first light, no matter what, is the best time to fish........

I love the feel and idea of first light but don't find it overly productive. Seems like the bite always comes on for me before the slack or into the next change up.

Last 2 trips out at lines in at 4:30am both trips fish on at 4:31am. No Joke. The old man was almost choked at me. He dident even have a chovy in his teaser head and Im setting the hook.

Im a big believer in Glow,Glow,Glow. Charge it with a flashlight fish the top 40ft.

KK

I have been finding the bite to be on more 1.5-2 hours before or after slacktide... don't know why but that is how is has been panning out for me.

Last 2 trips out at lines in at 4:30am both trips fish on at 4:31am. No Joke. The old man was almost choked at me. He dident even have a chovy in his teaser head and Im setting the hook.

Im a big believer in Glow,Glow,Glow. Charge it with a flashlight fish the top 40ft.

KK

yep....

J

Just wondering what you confided slack tide? I've heard a few differing definitions over the years. Lol. Some use the median tide height, or "zero". Many people however, define it as the peak high or low tide...

Last edited by a moderator:

KK

^^^ This. Maybe a Sooke thing, but Nootka is the same. BTW Mr. Floods, when is the old man taking me out?!:rolleyes::p

Different areas fish differently. Bamfield wall = firstlight & glow. Tofino offshore firstlight doesn't seem to matter much, but around high/low do more.

I find in local (Vancouver) waters the first 15 minutes regardless of time of day fish best or me, dunno why, and then the high/low, with early morning being no more productive than any other time. Thrasher, last hour before dark has worked best.

79 Jimmy:- to me a slack is when the tide stops running...probably a window of about 25 minutes.....

Agree with K.K. on this. Have the rods in the water at very first light.Best bite for migrating mature springs for sure!Tide
changes are next for me.If there's a change in the first couple hours of daylight,all the better.Also have found thick,
pea soup fog,the kind you can cut with a knife very productive as well.Caught double header tyee's once and my
largest spring of 42 lbs. another time,both in the thickest fog you've ever seen!

Back