Fishing Prince Rupert

Woody

Heading to Rupert Aug.14th-19th for 1st time. Looking for some fishing reports and any tips on fishing the area would be great. Will be on my buddies 28' Harbour Craft King fisher. I Normally fish WCVI in Nootka, Esperanza, Barkley sound and Tofino areas on my 19' campion explorer. Can't wait to see some new coast! Cheers, and happy fishing:D

Woody,

Fishing has been excellent for Coho for the last while. The nice weather over the past week made for alot of large hailbut coming into the docks as the guys were able to go off shore into the hecate strait. The coho are getting pretty big to. Fishing for them is good right now as you don't need to travel far to find them. I have heard good reports of coho at Lucy Island and Cutter and Beaver rocks which are at the South end of Melville Island. I can only imagine that the coho will be even bigger by the time you come out!

All the tradition hots spots should be good for Coho at the time your coming - no springs at this time of year. The mouth of Work channel is a traditional August hot spot. Other good spots include Eddy Pass, Hooper point, Avery point, east side of the Tree Knob group of islands and the top end of Dundas (all main point features).

Halibut, try some of the humps south of Lucy Island, mouth of the Skeena and the top end of Dundas are known hot spots.

Thanks for the info guys. No Springs up north in mid August eh? We got our limit on springs and halibut in Tofino last weekend, with not many coho around. One day we had up to 20 to the boat and kept our 8. Biggest spring was only 27lb down to late teens and biggest hali was 46lb. down to early 20's. Any big hali's coming in up there?

Woody,

Springs are usually done up here by the end of July. There may be the odd one, but don't bank on it. The fast and furious coho fishing makes up for the lack of tyee class salmon around at the time. All the spots Tubby mentioned are excellents spots to wet a line. I have caughts Springs at the North end of Dundas at Boat harbour mid August but it was a rarity I think.

There are large halibut coming in everyday. I remember one boat coming in recently with three over the century mark in one outing. I think the best bet for the big ones is off shore, however I have taken some biggies inside Chatham sound North of Lucy Island.

Stop by Traylings tackle shop and they will set you up!

Turned out to be an epic trip! Fished mainly north end of Dundas and off of Zayas islands. No rain, a bunch of sun and flat seas. Limited in Coho between 13 and 21 lbs. ( 40 between the 5 of us) and released another 35 at least. Limited in hali's and lings as well. Good Times.

Turned out to be an epic trip! Fished mainly north end of Dundas and off of Zayas islands. No rain, a bunch of sun and flat seas. Limited in Coho between 13 and 21 lbs. ( 40 between the 5 of us) and released another 35 at least. Limited in hali's and lings as well. Good Times.

Woody, good to hear. Did you get into any springs? We sure did just finsish up on a good stretch of weather up here. A little foggy in the AM, but good after that.

No springs what so ever. Just spent a weeek fishing out of tofino and only small springs to show.

Back