specified periods, even when fishing for species
other than steelhead. Refer to the regional
tables for dates and exceptions.
This stamp is available with all annual and
short-term basic licences, but you are limited
to one stamp per year, regardless of how
many short-term licences you buy.
you must immediately record your retention of hatchery
steelhead on your basic angling licence.
Please retain your basic licence for the entire
licence year as you may be requested to
complete an annual steelhead survey.
NOTE
: The ANNUAL province-wide quota for
hatchery steelhead is 10.

and its $60 for non resident aliens

My advice, not that you probably care LOL, is that its a small price to make sure you dont get in trouble.

oh I've read that much.. But what is defined as classified waters? These regs are vague at best, which is probably why some say yes and others say no. At times like this, I wished they handled their licensing like they do in Ontario. They have two licences.. Sport Fishing and Conservation.. Both will allow you to catch any species. Just one allows you to retain more than the other.

so basically, a steelhead stamp is mandatory if you're on the mainland as I don't see any Van Isle rivers or creeks listed. Good to know and makes sense as they've pretty much closed all the steelhead hatcheries on the island except for the stamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was fishing the lil Q yesterday and saw a man,wife and child fishing with spin gear. So I mentioned that it's fly only. He mentioned that he will be fishing with his fly rod. But as he continued walking, he then turned around and said.. Plus I am Indian. Now perhaps it's just me, but I've never heard a FN ever state that they are Indian. I normally hear first nation or native. Plus, they certainly didn't look FN. Then buddies and I watched them only fish with their spin gear and made every attempt to snag fish.

I thought that Status Natives not licenced by the Komox band must abide by the recreational regulations. Anyways, luckily they weren't able to land any fish and took off after 30 minutes. Just thought it was weird, but wasn't sure I should have reported it or not.

I know in Sooke they can do whatever they want. It was just weird how he came across. First stated, yeah I know, I'll be fishing with a fly rod, but he never had on him, then state that he was 'indian' and not FN or Native. Plus the woman and child were both blonde haired, blue eyed that looked like they never seen sunlight. But the child and man were both sharing the spin rod. I mean, I know there's red haired FNs in Sooke. I just never seen or heard of a blonde haired, blue eyed FN before.

First nations do not need to buy a licence, but they must abide by the regulations otherwise they require a food fish licence from the Band who's territory they are fishing in.

I simply offer the the choice of a $150 ticket for fishing with illegal gear or a court appearance in front of a judge for fishing without authorization from a Judge.
They usually take the ticket.

Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer
Comox

type o - I meant fishing without authorization from the Band who's territory they are in.

Please go on line a look at the Aboriginal Communal Fishing Licence Regulations. These regulations are made under the Federal Fisheries act and allow me to enforce the Laws and Licence Conditions set out by the individual bands.

Bryce Gillard

here is the answer to the little Q boundaryThe Little Q is defined by 2 boundary signs approx 250 meters down stream of the old Island highway bridge. Up stream of those signs...freshwater regs....down stream...saltwater regs from bgillard posted 09/26/2013

someone was asking about the boundary on the little Q' here is the conversation I had with billiard last year about that subject

Robertg,
So, does this mean that there is chinook fishing allowed all the way up to those signs with the same regulations as off shore from the river mouth?
Lure-washer

as far as I know yes you can, they use to put boundary floats out to close the river mouth off but the last 5 years that has not happened, also nothing in the regs mentions the tidal portion of the river is closed

I would call fisheries in Nanaimo and get a clarification , but I cannot see any reg that closes the salt water portion, I was working down on the beach yesterday the seals are working the beach, indicates that there are some fish hanging around in the shallows

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, this regulation change makes a ton of sense and ensures any angler can participate in the fishery. The fly only regulation made no sense at all...so happy to see this one GONE!

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN1097-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1 - All Salmon - Gear Type Restrictions in the Qulicum River

Effective immediately there will no longer be a fly-fishing only requirement in
the open portions of the Qualicum River. This regulation is changed to a
requirement that all gear used have a single-barbless hook, with a point to
shank measurement of no greater than 15mm.

Variation Orders: 2014-456.

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia.

The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Back