Fishing mid-November

Hi Guys,

The refinery I work at has been in shutdown for a couple of weeks now, with a few more to go. Currently on a 13 on 1 off schedule. Working 6:30pm to 4:30am. Needless to say, I won't be fishing for a while. I just bought the boat a few weeks ago and have yet to do any fishing in it. I finally have the first trip in the new boat scheduled with some buddies. We're going out on November 19th. What kind of fishing can I expect? Where would be a decent place to try to get in to a salmon? Don't need to bonk it, just want to catch some fish. If I can keep one, that'll be a bonus. I've never fished in the saltwater around the Vancouver area. I was strictly a stillwater fly guy before I started salmon fishing this year. Went to Campbell River and had a blast and then went to Bamfield on September long weekend and got completely addicted to the salmon. Managed to talk the wife in to letting me buy a boat. Now I need to learn where to fish locally. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

Cheers

Few winters if you can get off shore, or down south to Victoria area. Chum are done, so no Campbell River. Barkley Sound will be slow....good prawning however. Maybe someone who is fishing ECVI can weigh in with local report.

I could head over to thrasher if I need to. I'd like to stay in vancouver or howe sound if possible. But if the weather is good, I can totally fly across the strait. Just don't know where the best chance would be. I'm in a 18' Eaglecraft center console with a 75 hp Merc.

In English Bay there are usually lots of smaller fish just out by the freighters in November-right on the bottom-it's not unusual to hit a dozen in a day's fishing.

Another Hot Spot is Tunstal Bay over on the other side of Bowen-but it's a haul and tide dependent.

I'm fine with lots of small fish. I know there's nothing big around right now. I just love being on the water. The occasional fish makes it all the better.

Like Dogbreath says if you want to fish the harbor stick it close to the bottom, try chovies and spoons trolled behind green flashers.
try out around the mile markers, QA, QB, Bell bouy, Tunstal bay on the west side of bowen can be good, if you dont mind the run I have had good luck over around grace islands,
watch your sounder and work the bottoms.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm getting super stoked to get out there now. Now I just need this work thing to speed up so the day gets here. The boat came with a GPSMAP398 with the chip as well. So I should be able to find the right depths. He even left his good prawn spots marked on it. Now I need prawn gear. There is also a ton of other waypoints that aren't labelled. Possible good fishing spots??? I'll have to go over to each and every one and try my luck. Gonna be a fun winter!!

I'd be interested in them "good" prawn spots:)
mine havent been so good lately

Last edited by a moderator:
The old owner lived on Eagle Island, so was out all the time. I'm more than willing to share info. I have no idea how to download info from the GPS though. Might need a tutorial from someone more knowledgable. And a few beers couldn't hurt.

Wow Eagle Island..... he probably watched me drop my traps,
I bet he may have some decent spots marked off there
I know nothing about the garmin unit so I can't help you there, looks like they are all yours
see you out there
Tim

Tulameen, to keep abreast of the local saltwater scene, there is a lot of information out there. There are some fantastic local web blogs kept by local Vancouver fishing charter companies which show you where they have been fishing, what they have been using, and how they have been doing. These local forums are good as well. There is another website forum which has quite a bit of local saltwater fishing traffic as well and many local fishers post on there too.

I would bookmark these pages:

http://www.oceanadventurecenter.com/
http://www.vancouversalmonfishing.ca/
http://www.bonchovy.com/

check back regularly for updates on their fishing reports.

Thanks guys. There's some great info on those sites. I've been scanning them while listening to the hockey game here at work. I have a tough job!

Winter spring fishing in the Sooke area is excellent during Nov and Dec but there are not too many charter boats still in the water and you will also have to make sure you pick a calm day and preferably fishing out of a covered and heated boat. It tends to rain allot in Nov./Dec in the Sooke area.

To book a winter spring fishing charter in the Sooke area call Al at Reel Excitement Charters 250 880-1004. I know he's still fishing during the winter months.

Back