Fishing Lodges - Rivers Inlet - Hakai

I'm not sure what's happening this year with covid but I would book with King Pacific lodge in Milbanke Sound as my #1 choice
Joe's Salmon Lodge in Hakai as my second
Both lodges are very close to the fishing grounds and offer a chance to catch a fish of a lifetime as the River's Inlet fish swim past their doorsteps.
I have been to both lodges a number of times and both have their attributes depending on what you are looking for.
King Pacific and Joes...entirely different clientele....you're talking about the Marriott in Vancouver vs Motel 6....but once on the water Joes caters to unguided and price point at least 40% less than King Pacific.....Cafeteria stye smorgasbord vs 5 course meals with an imported wine list and a jaccuzi in your room vs a bunk bed....it's no choice......The guys i know that go to both ...love them both....at Joes you take an hour long water taxi to the lodge...scenic and beautiful....at King Pacific it's a 10 heli jet.......which you are paying for.....now if want to compare apples to apples.....

King Pacifc to Langara and West Coast Fishing club
Joes salmon lodge....to Rivers inlet dumps....But difference is Joes has great operators and alot cheaper than a Duncanby....and please do not consider Black Gold....Joes management is great and so is King Pacific....j

For numbers + good chance at a tyee last week of July/first two weeks of august . First week of august is when I aim to get up for my annual guiding stint . Leave the gear at home and soak cutplugs or whole herring in tight at cape naden or snake rock ( what qcl refers to as “ bird rock 2 “ ) . Last year around that time was as good as I’ve seen it in years for 18 - 25 lb fish , decent amount of tyee caught every day in the 30 - 35 lb class , and a handful of 45 lb fish in the week I was there ( this is guiding at peregrine , adjacent from QCL ) . Good friend of mine Ryan Winger should still be capt of the driftwood, great guy, lots of fun and a hell of a fisherman ( just don’t tell him I said that ) .
I found Shag Rock. Where is Cape Naden or Snake Rock?

Thanks for the informed input and suggestions. No better intel than intel you get from people who have been there and done it.

I have booked with North King Lodge in Caamano Sound.

Again, thanks guys.
How was your stay at North King Lodge summer of 2022 and how was the fishing, any Springs of size?

I found Shag Rock. Where is Cape Naden or Snake Rock?
Your timing is great....no doubt the strip from Edenshaw to shag rock can be great.....did you hear Peregrine has suspended operations.....Mrs Husby did a great job with husband for many many years.....Peregrine was a 5 star operation......now with West Coast Resorts Gone, Peregrine.....prices will go up....Americans will find the USD such an advantage....i never fished out of Peregrine....i did out of QCL...but when the stopped allowing you to fish last morning.....i wanted to go elsewhere...i did rent a house in Masset and hired independent guides and barbecued my own salmon and hali on the supplied Back yard barbi for about 1/2 the price of QCL....Can some speculate what has happened to the big cohoes.....?

How was your stay at North King Lodge summer of 2022 and how was the fishing, any Springs of size?
I fished North king for 8 years....i went in Late June but not back in 7 years but my friend who went there for last 5 years first weekend in July....found it tough...they will run across to surf inlet a 30 minute ride in soft seas if the Honey hole is not working.....They do have a great Malibu fishery very close to lodge...and biggest fist caught 100 yards from lodge....i think 65 lbs that July long weekend....Guides run alot of spoons.....So do i....Andrew Paine in Langford has some killer spoons that i know the guides at West Coast Fishing club use.....i used the 4 inch green herring spoon in Sandspit mostly last year....and did 25 to 50 springs to boat.....i have a whole box full of them....funny how that works the guides at Sandspit using Gibbs jimmy gee....and i turned them on to the 5 inch sand lance green spoon and 4 inch herring spoons and they were texting for them by the time i left.......i do think their is something to say that chances of catching a tyee are better on inside of Haida Gwaii at a Bird 2 or Shag...or Edenshaw with a cut plug or holy roller....When you go to North King head out to Surf Inlet....i did really well there and down to the famous point west.....i got a 37 lb spring there years ago....But surf inlet can be great....Lodge not fond of boats heading there .....burning fuel mounts up...go with a buddy boat...You will find best hali fishing on the coast at North King...they have buoys staking out the spots.....it's a fun place to fish.....i hear the food greatly improved last year.....Clint is lodge owner and a good guy....

Chuck,

Trip was great. Date shifted a bit, ending July 2. Lost one Chinook estimated over 30. Couple of Chinooks at 19 lbs, one Hali at 45 Lbs. Even a flounder (delicious) great Fishing for cohos and chinooks.

Lodge was great in every respect, well organized, excellent food and accomodations. Chopper ride from Bella Bella was an experience. Rainy and bumpy going in, brilliant sunshine on the trip out. Was guided, we did much better than others who were unguided. As they say finding the fish is the hard part.

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
    695.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
not sure if i answered your question on North King....Clint is a great operator....and yes he has a manager head guide Nigel...great....North King has the best Hali fishing locally and they mark the spots....no other boats....and located about 1/2 hour heli ride....Heli rides almost always seem to be delayed in fog.....Price point is high ...Guides use alot of spoons.....thats fine...so do i....I fished it for 8 years in June with a group....But ended up going somewhere else as i couldn't get dates i wanted ...it can be killer great in Mid July.....it's a saw off for me WCFC and North King.....The clubhouse not the Outpost at west coast fishing club....i want option of flat water....and WCFC the Clubhouse gives me that and the Outpost does not(west side of Haida Gwaii).....North King...westerliy blows will limit where you can go....But thats fishing......Tip...try and get to Surf Inlet on the Whale Channel side.....it can be awesome....need flat water....very limited self guiding at North King....Say hello to Clint for me....he has been at their for 20 years.....

Back