Fishing Line

quote:Originally posted by dog

35 and 40 pound on my 2 beauty shimano 3000GT's and 45 pound on the ugly old Alvey. Always trolling for Springs. Have been using Triple Fish for 20 years. May try a different brand of hi viz green Calvin suggested this year, but probably still at least 30#.

35# & 40# ???? Is that mono or spectra?

I can't see any reason to use more than 25# mono line for Salmon fishing - unless you know of some pocket of 200 lb. Chinook where you fish...

If you are breaking off fish on anything over 25# mono, then you need to reassess your fish playing skills.

Yes 20# or 25# is fine but now with seals being the way they are and crap in the water I went to 30# just for some more lasting power.
Berkly hi vis green got me a lot of fish this past summer!!!!! and seals :D:D

Yes 20# or 25# is fine but now with seals being the way they are and crap in the water I went to 30# just for some more lasting power.
Berkly hi vis green got me a lot of fish this past summer!!!!! and seals :D:D

You know,...I thought of buying mooching stuff, but I have never fished with mooching gear...I wouln't even know where to start. Everything I have ever caught on the coast has been with level wind gear. I will use this gear for this season, and hopfully I can find someone who can teach me about mooching rods and reels, and how to use them.

Kris

I'm curious anybody using braided line for salmon? I've been using it for steelhead lately and love the stuff.

I'm a Maxima Ultragreen fan. 30# main. I've tried the braided line but it is too 'slippery' and think and as a result I find it doesn't hold well in the the clips...even set deep it seems to pop.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

I'm curious anybody using braided line for salmon? I've been using it for steelhead lately and love the stuff.

I have been using Berkley Fireline for the last 5 years with great success. I use 20# on my salmon reels as the line is far stronger than any mono with the added benefit of no stretch or shrinkage. It also gets the gear deeper with less drag as #20 fireline is roughly equal to #10 mono in diameter.

The line is fairly pricey as you get 150 yards for around $40, but it lasts ten times longer with no UV breakdown or shrinkage.

Only issue I have had is keeping it in the downrigger clip when trolling faster.( I have gotten around this as well)

If you are purchasing bulk line look at ebay. I sell and bye on there. I just purchase 100s of pack of line from a business that went out of business and I have been selling packs of Maxum and berkley for about $5 a pack of 300 yards for the 25 or 30lb. I use the braided 50lb for salmon and really have not had much trouble holding it on those great scotty clips.

quote:Originally posted by battaglino

If you are purchasing bulk line look at ebay. I sell and bye on there. I just purchase 100s of pack of line from a business that went out of business and I have been selling packs of Maxum and berkley for about $5 a pack of 300 yards for the 25 or 30lb. I use the braided 50lb for salmon and really have not had much trouble holding it on those great scotty clips.

are you still selling this stuff?
And do you have a lsit of whats left?:D

I do couple hundred of spools I'll make a list and get it out next week.

I am looking for about 2000yds of 30# for my trolling gear, and 400yds or so for my abu garcia 700i,..I think about 15-20# for casting. As well if you have some goo Hali line I would be interested in that as well...Kris

Hi Kris, nice going on the shopping spreeeeee. I tried the braided line on one of my salmon rods. That only lasted one trip and it came off, there is no give, it gets tangled way to easy and when you set the hook even slightly the jaw comes off your salmon.

I use 30# Berkley Big Game, when you get a 40+ fish on you will be glad you have it on when your putting enough pressure to stop them.

The Codfather

We have been using braided line and high geared reels for all our charters for the last few years(Penn 309s on Shimano TDRs with 30# Tuff line). On the inside Strait seals are an unfortunate reality and as nice as it is to slowly play a fish with lighter guage mono line on a single action reel in our area you would not put many(any) fish in the boat that way.

Braided lines and geared reels are a pretty compelling option if you live in a high seal poplulation area which it seems that more and more areas are becoming. With the right type of sharp hooks ensuring a good hook set we loose very few fish and get them into the boat fast with this setup, even with guests who have never fished before.

We own a number of single action reels and I think there are certain locations they are great for, and if you can use them you should as they are a lot more fun, but ours have been collecting dust for a number of years now...

SIR, it sounds like you folks need to take care of the seal problem. Some type of thinnnnning needs to happen, then get back to using single action reels with light gear.

Back