Fishing Line

Kris

Hey all,..I am fairly new to the west coast fishing thing. Over the winter I have bought a $hit load of gear. Rods/reels...all sorts of stuff...moocho denero!!! I would now like some suggestions as to fishing line for the 5 Halibut rods/reels and 6 Salmon rods/reels. For reels I bought Okuma Convector cv45D line counter, and have them paired with 9 foot Okuma rods and Fenwick Rods...For Halibut I have 2 Lamiglass 5'6" (50-10lb) rods, 3 Quantum Blue Runner Gold 6'6" (20-50lb) rods.

Any favorite lines out there from you pros???

Kris

What the hell did you win the lottery or what ????? sounds like you spent a crap load of money on something you know little about,, good luck with that.. If you know that little of the line I would think that would be the least of your problems.. Maybe you should learn how to fish them then you would know what tackle to use....

Ha Ha,...No lottery, and I have been out there over the past couple of years. I am just looking for a Pro opinion on what line they use day in and day out...That is all

Standard is 25# mono for Salmon.

Maxima is great but pricy Berkley Big Game and the new Mustad are popular and reliable.

For Halibut you need 80# Tuf line.

I'm surprised the store you bought that stuff at didn't offer to sell you bulk line and spool the reels up for you, where do you live?

If you're not close to a saltwater tackle store look at buying your line online from a place like Cabelas they're really cheap compared to Canadain prices.

Thanks DB. I live in Alberta (Edmonton)...I wanted to hold off on buying bulk line until I got some advice from guys who fish everyday or close to it anyway.

I have fished Kitimat and Prince Rupert for the last 4 years with guides,... and now have made the jump to trying it out myself. I will still probably go with a guide a couple of times a year, but there is something about trying it yourself that is very rewarding for me.

Thanks again...

PLine COPolymer (be carful there are lots of varations of PLine 25# to 30# for slamon OR Maxima Ultra Green or Cameleon 25# or 30 #

I dont find need for anything over 60# tuff line you can put tonnes of presure on a fish with that and if I did get a Hali over a 100lbs I would release it its a big female and it took her a long time to get there :)

For salmon fishing I use 25 lb Ande's. I purchase a bulk spool from Nikka and it is usually enough for about 5+ years. The last spool cost me around $130.

Maxima doesn't bleed. Great line in my opinion. I've fished the Maxima Ultragreen for many years. I'm sure there is other good line out there as well but I've just stuck with what has been good to me. When it comes to bleeding, you might be thinking of Power Pro. I use the 200lb on my downriggers and it bled some for a while.

Thanks guys I think I will by a whole bunch of Masima (25#)for the Salmon rods and Tuff line (60-80#) for the Hali rods...

I personally like the hi vis green by berkley very very tough line and it lasts a long time. for hali after trying all thats there still like the power pro good stuff..

Good luck Wolf

I,m with you Wolf,wow can't believe i,m saying that but Berkley 25-30# high vis all the way.

quote:Originally posted by Kris

Hey all,..I am fairly new to the west coast fishing thing. Over the winter I have bought a $hit load of gear. Rods/reels...all sorts of stuff...moocho denero!!! I would now like some suggestions as to fishing line for the 5 Halibut rods/reels and 6 Salmon rods/reels. For reels I bought Okuma Convector cv45D line counter, and have them paired with 9 foot Okuma rods and Fenwick Rods...For Halibut I have 2 Lamiglass 5'6" (50-10lb) rods, 3 Quantum Blue Runner Gold 6'6" (20-50lb) rods.

Kris

Wow - Sounds like gear that a Californian would buy. :D

For Salmon fishing, you should have a look at the Shimano Mooching Reels. Way more fun than those expensive levelwind reels you bought.

Load them up with 25# Maxima Ultragreen or 25# Berkely Big Game line.

For Halibut, 80# TUF line or PowerPro line will be just what you need.

Good luck.

quote:Originally posted by Kris

Kris

Wow - Sounds like gear that a Californian would buy. :D

For Salmon fishing, you should have a look at the Shimano Mooching Reels. Way more fun than those expensive levelwind reels you bought.

Good luck.

I'm with Sushi Hunter

How did you like the Elk and Cougar the other night....

I'm with Sushi Hunter

How did you like the Elk and Cougar the other night....

35 and 40 pound on my 2 beauty shimano 3000GT's and 45 pound on the ugly old Alvey. Always trolling for Springs. Have been using Triple Fish for 20 years. May try a different brand of hi viz green Calvin suggested this year, but probably still at least 30#.

35 and 40 pound on my 2 beauty shimano 3000GT's and 45 pound on the ugly old Alvey. Always trolling for Springs. Have been using Triple Fish for 20 years. May try a different brand of hi viz green Calvin suggested this year, but probably still at least 30#.

quote:Originally posted by dog

35# & 40# ???? Is that mono or spectra?

I can't see any reason to use more than 25# mono line for Salmon fishing - unless you know of some pocket of 200 lb. Chinook where you fish...

If you are breaking off fish on anything over 25# mono, then you need to reassess your fish playing skills.

Back