Fishing in Thailand

seadna

Just booked a trip to Thailand for late March. Does anyone on the forum have any experience fishing over there? My plans are pretty open so I could go anyplace in the country where the fishing might be decent (especially if there is a beach nearby where my wife can plant herself).

can't say about Saltwater fishing but if you're find yourself in bangkok with a day or 2 to kill there's lake stocked with giant catfish and other spieces. They have little huts around the lake, load up your cooler with beer, bring some tunes and catch 20-50lb fish until your arms are too sore or you get bored.

Check out http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/freshwater_fishing/bangkok.html

I've done it, it's cheap and a fun way to kill the afternoon

I was in Phuket for 7 days in 2002, rented a boat (45ft ?), captain and 1 deck hand and went out for 3 days trolling, 6 AM to 6 PM daily. 5 rods me the only fisherman and my arms ached from tuna after tuna all days long for first 2 days. All 30-50 lbs but non stop, 42 fish in bucket. 3rd day changed to bigger gear and went to colored water further offshore (15-18 miles) looking for billfish, no bills but dorado, mahi mahi none stop all day. Think around 30, at days end also some huge snapper type fish, I kept a few fish and they kept rest for market. Best part all 3 days was 3000 baht, 1000 per day Tia lunch included, gave him $5000, exchange was 100us=4200 baht. This was not a sport fishing boat but a dowh type coastal vessel, he had 4 rods, gear, chair and knowledge. I had the gps and got spots from fishing center in town. Yes I refused the boat "extras". Most memorable trip, outstanding people, tons of fish and what fun. It was some time ago, not sure what's changed.

I was in Phuket for 7 days in 2002, rented a boat (45ft ?), captain and 1 deck hand and went out for 3 days trolling, 6 AM to 6 PM daily. 5 rods me the only fisherman and my arms ached from tuna after tuna all days long for first 2 days. All 30-50 lbs but non stop, 42 fish in bucket. 3rd day changed to bigger gear and went to colored water further offshore (15-18 miles) looking for billfish, no bills but dorado, mahi mahi none stop all day. Think around 30, at days end also some huge snapper type fish, I kept a few fish and they kept rest for market. Best part all 3 days was 3000 baht, 1000 per day Tia lunch included, gave him $5000, exchange was 100us=4200 baht. This was not a sport fishing boat but a dowh type coastal vessel, he had 4 rods, gear, chair and knowledge. I had the gps and got spots from fishing center in town. Yes I refused the boat "extras". Most memorable trip, outstanding people, tons of fish and what fun. It was some time ago, not sure what's changed.
That sounds IDEAL. How did you find the boat/captain?

I am in the Navy and we anchored in the bay for some R & R, the boat came alongside bringing rations, and parts. I asked what are you and your boat doing tomorrow after I saw fighting chair, rods and gear stowed. His answer was nothing boat will be moored for 3 days until next tasking. Left the door open for a fishing nut to secure 3 days of bliss. Still left nights and rest of port visit for shopping. I have done this in many countries around the world. Most sailors drink, I hunt (pigs, iguana, caymen) or fish (any species available, Thailand, peacock bass in Ecuador and days of sailfish in Costa Rica were highlights). There were many charter boats in Phuket at the time but $1000 US per day. Not sure how to organize today, I do not think the small reasonable boats have websites. When you pick an ocean/beach vacation spot I would walk the docks, ask questions and start conversations with anyone with a safe looking boat. I have even gone out for free on million $ yachts after talking to owners. Good luck.

HM

Halimark, that is a lot of bang for the buck fishing right there LOL. Awesome!

Interesting stuff about that lake. Just a bunch of big fish 'stocked' in it. That's probably not the most environmental thing, but wow that's really cool hahahah :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its amazing how much fishing there really is all for cheap, I like the show Baha with Bill Boyce reminds me of how I do things. Catching barracuda off the docks in Hawaii, also wiamea? reservoir 20 min drive from Waikiki and its full of 10 lb peacocks and some orange sunfish things. Anyone vacationing there who fishes should give it a try. Seadna can you give an update on how you made out upon your return? Good luck.

HM

Its amazing how much fishing there really is all for cheap, I like the show Baha with Bill Boyce reminds me of how I do things. Catching barracuda off the docks in Hawaii, also wiamea? reservoir 20 min drive from Waikiki and its full of 10 lb peacocks and some orange sunfish things. Anyone vacationing there who fishes should give it a try. Seadna can you give an update on how you made out upon your return? Good luck.

HM

Will do - I'm in the idea stage right now but I have almost a full week of unplanned time and I can use at least a couple of days of it to fish.

There is a piranha fishing park in Pai, just north of Chiang Mai. Stocked ponds with cheep beer. If you find yourself up in the north in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai/Pai area (highly recommend for a true Thai experience, also best elephant treks) its a good way to kill a few hours. I wouldn't head there specifically for the fishing, but if you are in the area, its worth a quick trip.

http://paipiranhafishingpark.paiexplorer.com/

Check out giant snakehead fishing in the reservoirs and also fishing the oil rigs in the gulf of Thailand. From what i know these are perhaps your best bets.

Back