Fishing in Maui

pop sea

Good morning from Maui,
Anyone have any recommendations for a guide in Maui, I havnt hit the docks yet to see who im comfortable with....so any ideas

Lance

Hey Pop-Sea, i was just in Maui over Xmas and can't wait to get back! So relaxing and carefree and oblivious to the rest of the world. We went out on a charter out of Lahania on Start Me Up Charters. I checked into a bit before i left here and knew the fishing was not that good at this time but what the hell. They took the 5 of us out for 5 hrs for 600$ plus tax and i left a 100$ tip, we trolled at 9 knts for 5 hrs on a 42 ft. Bertram so that must have sucked a bit of fuel there. We had a great time yakking with the Captain and Skipper, caught a few small 5 lb. Tuna. The Humpback Whales are migrating there now so we saw a few of those and the flying fish were cool. I was told to do the early morning trip, but we ended up on the afternoon trip, anyway we had a great time and the sunset was awesome out there. There are some boats that take you out and you can drift and jig for bottom fish, that might have been more productive but not sure. Have a good time, i jelous as hell!!

Best charter is Start Me Up Charters. They do a really early morning start. Something like 2am and steam out for miles. Then when you are way out there they get started. We caught something like 50 tuna, and 4 mahi-mahi.

I fished with start me up in sept this year awsome trip. Caught 28 mahi and tons of small tunna under 1 lb we did the 2 am trip for 12 hours. We did the slow troll with live bait and it sounds like that's the most productive trip over trolling .

Back