Fishing in hawaii

Was on Maui at Kihei last February, beautifull spot.
There was some poor sucker using spinning lures, fishing out of a kayak with legs dangling in the water. Shark came up bit off lower leg, he bled out and died, a few months earlier a German girl was swimming 100 ft offshore and sahark bit off upper arm, bled out, same story. Saw that online and there was something like 13 attacks last year. The locals said dont swim/snorkel dawn or dusk or when its choppy wavy with sand stirred up and if snorkelling do it in pairs, then you dont "look" like thier fav snack, sea turtles.

Well I've been back for 13 miserable days now and still trying to get back into the swing of things. Thanks again to all for the insight on Fishing in Hawaii. Was my first trip to Hawaii and stayed in South Kihei, what a sweet place for sure, i pretty sure i could live there or do a couple of one month stays there every year!! Did manage to get out on a charter with Start Me Up, and just as i figured the fishing sucked, but it sucks around here a lot to. It was nice to get out on a 42ft. Bertram with Capt. Jason and Skipper Chris, had the whole boat to my 3 kids and wife and myself. Caught 5 or 6 small 3-5 lb tuna fish but that was it, saw a few Humpbacks and the schools of Flying Fish were pretty neat. We ended up on an afternoon trip 1 pm - 6 pm , cost was 600$ which i thought was pretty fair for the 5 of us as we trolled for 5 hrs. at 9 knots in that big boat, must have went through a bit of fuel i would think. All in all a very cool experience, we all had a great day out there. Tipped them a 100$ and one pack of the 3 vaccuum pack's of my smoked salmon that i smuggled there. Capt Jason was from Seattle and chartered in Alaska, Skipper Chris was from California and moved to Hawaii on a football scholarship a few years back. Seemed to be a common story there i heard quite a few times, about people going there for a visit or vacation and next thing they know it's 9 years later.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1659.jpg
    IMG_1659.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 276
Hey IMRINC, that's what we were after but few and far between this time of year so they were saying, allthough they said one around 600 was caught a few weeks before we were there. What time of year did you get that one? Big fish for sure, how long to get it in? It was weird bringing in those little Tuna with those big Wicked Tuna Rods and Reels, but like they said , ''you never know'' don't want to get caught short-stacked on gear when that big bugger hit's!! Beautiful down there, wanna go back real bad!!

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 205
  • P1010790.jpg
    P1010790.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 206
Bag-Juan.....looking at a lot of the fishing "calendars" it tends to look like these days that May and the months on either side tend to be the best for fishing.

We chose not to bother on Kauai when we were there for a few weeks through the holidays. Have had two notable disappointments in December.....and as they say "third time call me a fool". ;)

Ours was good in Kauai but we went at beginning of Sept.... Tell you something if your prone to seasickness stay away.... Big weather there.... I would take the worst day in Swiftsure bank than when its rough out there.... And a lot of charters go out weather regardless... I will post some pics ...

The seas don't make me sick.....trolling around for hours with a Skipjack the size of a pink salmon and a half; made me a tad ill. ;)

Kona Charter review

The seas don't make me sick.....trolling around for hours with a Skipjack the size of a pink salmon and a half; made me a tad ill. ;)

I am currently on the Big Island and decided to charter a World Cat 27TE this year. I went out Monday and caught 1 small Tuna and 4 Mahi Mahi. We lost another larger Mahi at the boat and had some 'bad' bites that pulled the line out of outriggers, gave a fight but fell off before we could see what they were.

I went out on a Blackfin charter last year (34 ft I believe) but got sick from all the diesel fumes. Even if the wind was blowing head on there was a 'circular' wind effect at the back of the boat and the fumes were not pleasant. The boats troll at 7-9 knots and thus the fumes and circular wind behind the boat are somewhat significant. I assume that unless you head out on a 45+ charter you may get similar effects.

Back to the World Cat - it was a great experience with a great captain (Mike). The boat name was 'True Lies'. You can Google him or look him up on Craigslist Kona. I must say that fishing on a CC boat in Hawaii was unbelievable - there is more fishing deck space than on the Blackfin (or at least is seemed). The visibility from a CC is awesome - great to spot bait, whales, dolphins, puffer fish, etc... I grew up with Boston Whaler Outrage's and have switched to a Grady White Journey WA. I love my boat but have a soft spot for CC's. I always think that most recreational fishing boats in BC would be CC's if it was warmer!!!! I am tempted to buy a 30'+ CC and just buy curtains to convert it into a pilot house (also buy a diesel heater). Also, the World Cat 27 was impressive in the larger seas - it wasn't too rough but it cut through the waves, the 'sets' of swells and other boat wakes effortlessly - I would need more time at cruise to truly comment on the boat but I am tempted to say that is 'may' be better than a similar length monohull in the same seas.

Now I must decide if I am going to head out agin this week.... and oh yah - it is cheaper to charter the World Cat than the Blackfin...

Thanks for sharing SpringVelocity, looks like a good day!! I knew our timing was not that good for our fishing charter but had to do it anyway! It was a little rocky-rolly out there and yes there was fumes in the air, none of us had any ill effects. On that 42 ft Bertram there was seating up top in front of the ****-pit area where you could sit and get away from the fumes, but it wasn't that bad. Captain Jason gave us congrats when we got back in, said he tell we were all seasoned ocean fisher's as he even said it was a little rough out there. We did the afternoon charter so i think the wind picks up a bit then.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 215
Man, I just had the "Why the hell haven't we moved to Hawaii yet" conversation with my fiance this morning! I'm sure I could find some kind of job on Maui!

Even though the weather's been nice the last couple of days here in Washington...... It's still too cold to get a decent tan! :p

Here's from my last trip in 2011. 2 short billed spear fish and a mahi mahi. Going again April 11th-25th. Seeing all these pictures is making me pretty excited.

183330_10150158201651327_5638608_n.jpg

Your daughter looks pretty stoked there Tulameentrapper, where did you go out of? You got it SpringVelocity & Tantastic84, I'm there in a heartbeat!! I sure there is other sweet places on the other islands, but sure would be cool to spend more time there and explore around. Nice relaxed pace to life there, no-one in a hurry, it's so chill there and that's where i'm getting to now. Couple of months a year or even 3 months. You feel oblivious to the rest of the world there! I'd probably live longer if i spent more time there. Have to figure out something i guess!! Actually was toying with the idea of buying a condo with 1 or 2 other responsible people, checked into it a bit but the hoops they want you to jump through and our low Canadian dollar, sounds like a few years ago was a good time to buy as it's on the rebound there now. Keep dreaming i guess!!

I was staying in Puamana and fishing out of Lahaina. She loved touching the fish. She was quite shocked at how big they were and wouldn't go near them unless she was in my arms. She had only seen salmon and trout up until that day. The captain was quite stoked about getting those spear fish, as he said they are not too common in those waters. We were way out near the far end of Lanai'i. Great golfing on Lanai'i if any of you guys like to golf. You catch the ferry in Lahaina really early in the morning. Play 18 holes on the mountain course, have lunch, then play 18 holes on the ocean course. Awesome scenery. Long day though.

Your daughter looks pretty stoked there Tulameentrapper, where did you go out of? You got it SpringVelocity & Tantastic84, I'm there in a heartbeat!! I sure there is other sweet places on the other islands, but sure would be cool to spend more time there and explore around. Nice relaxed pace to life there, no-one in a hurry, it's so chill there and that's where i'm getting to now. Couple of months a year or even 3 months. You feel oblivious to the rest of the world there! I'd probably live longer if i spent more time there. Have to figure out something i guess!! Actually was toying with the idea of buying a condo with 1 or 2 other responsible people, checked into it a bit but the hoops they want you to jump through and our low Canadian dollar, sounds like a few years ago was a good time to buy as it's on the rebound there now. Keep dreaming i guess!!

The little lady and I have been to Maui four times now. Every time we go, we really have a gut check at the airport when we have to go back to Seattle. We really love it in Seattle, but the relaxed lifestyle on Maui is just..... It's just....Tits! I mean, I dont have a care in the world about what's happening off island. I know it's different if you actually have to live and work there, but I can handle it if I get to sit on the beach and watch sunsets like they have there everyday.

My dream is like many people on here. Get enough money stashed away so I can but a condo on Maui. Rent it out the majority of the year then stay for a month...maybe two...hell, maybe three whenever airfare allows it. Is that too much to ask!

Those butt hats shipping off to ISIS could learn a thing or two about loving life if they took a god damned vacation now and then! Bunch of mopes! :)

Back