Fishing in hawaii

Bag-Juan

Looks like the famlly is dragging me to Hawaii this Christmas. I have never been there in my almost 60 yrs. We are on Maui, staying in a resort in Kihei. Just wondering if any other forum members have been there and have gone on any fishing charters and have any fishing experience's to share or any insight on charter's in that area. I am doing a bit of research on the net but any first hand input would be appreciated. Thanks for any input.

Dragged holy crap your lucky... I went on trip in Kauai a year ago..... I just did it through hotel went on a big boat with 5 other people was a blast. But I will tell you it can be rough as far as seas go with trade winds. That was my only thing I can do I get a little sick sometimes in Renfrew/Bamfield. But i never have with the compound formula...But I took two pills there it didn't help me at all still got sick.

I think maybe ask Pippen he goes quite a bit.... Only advice pick a good day to go out and research before you go. It not expensive I payed 120 for a 6 hour trip. Lots of fishing action. But keep in mind its not like here the captain's own your catch. I got a cool one that let me keep whatever i wanted. I heard that is rare.

BTW keep us informed of your trip...I am making my decision Maui vs Kauai for next year in spring.

About 10 mins north west of Kihei in Maalaea there are a number of fishing charters.
They generally are 5 hour trips departing at 6:30am as the wind usually comes up mid morning.
WE were there in October and inquired about the rates which were quite reasonable at about $150 per person.
They often provide lunch and you can bring your own beer.
Strike Zone charters came recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pack your heavy casting reel, buy a BIG cheap rod from Walmart when your there and a box of frozen calamari from grocery store. Kihei has some great beaches for surf fishing. Toss the rig out as far as you can, prop against the back of your chair and sip MaiTai's in between rebaiting. Hooked a few this way but didnt get any landed... probably cause I really didnt pay enough attention to the rod to actually hook set. My wife grabbed the rod once and managed to real something in within a few feet of shore before losing it.

Looks like the famlly is dragging me to Hawaii this Christmas. I have never been there in my almost 60 yrs. We are on Maui, staying in a resort in Kihei. Just wondering if any other forum members have been there and have gone on any fishing charters and have any fishing experience's to share or any insight on charter's in that area. I am doing a bit of research on the net but any first hand input would be appreciated. Thanks for any input.

Hey Bag Juan,

Have fished in Hawaii a few times but have always been on Kauai. The place I really want to fish is off the Big Island but haven't yet made it there however have a buddy who raves about it.

Brio who is a good friend and newer member here has been out with Lucky Strike I believe out of Lahaina but don't quote me on that. I know he does have one of their t-shirts. ;) I know the day he went out he had his kids with him so not sure how far out they ventured or how long their charter was. You may want to PM him and see if he had any advice.

I have another good buddy who went out of Lahaina with what he described as a "crazy, awesome Captain". I recall him mentioning he was a younger guy but the charter they booked had them leaving at roughly 2-3am to get well out before sun up. Let's just say his day was awesome.....I am pretty sure they had one striped marlin, a good number of mahi.....and as I recall him saying "we stopped counting tuna after a while". If it was me and I was planning a serious day of fishing....you would have me on one of those "in the dark departures" as I know many buddies who have done them between Maui but largely on the Big Island.

When fishing Hawaii and this is how I'll do it from now on I think it's great to book in advance or research in advance.....but get yourselves down on the docks in the marinas and check things out for yourself. Pretty pictures on a website can definitely be misleading....haha. ;)

I am going to be on Kauai with Brio at Xmas.....and we may explore heading out of there but to be quite honest the few trips I have done haven't been overly "amazing".

Definitely don't go with who the hotel/concierge may recommend......had that happen on a charter out of Kauai and it was awful. Talked to some others at the resort who had done the same thing through the 12 days we were there and other guys said it was below average.....crew and effort, boat and fishing.

You may want to check on some of the "big game" fishing forums be it maybe on Bloody Decks or some of the others. I have a few buddies who I will check with for you in the next few days.

I'd also have a look at trip advisor and see what you may be able to find. Here is an example of one company. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...e_Sport_Fishing_Maui-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html

Fished Maui a few times. Mainly out of Lahaina. Fished with Start Me Up a couple of times. They were pretty good. Was really rough the last time out with them. Everybody was getting sick over the side of the boat. Left more fish for me, as I don't usually get ill from rough water. Captain was quite suprised, as even he was saying it's really rough. When the locals say it's rough, then you know it really rough. Huge swells. Got a few Mahi's that trip. That was all.

Used Finest Kind last time. I didn't think they were the greatest. They wouldn't change it up and we fished the same lures all day in the same spot. Ended up with 2 short billed spearfish and a couple Mahi's.

The guy I'm using this time in April is Die Hard fishing. His name is Captain Fuzzy. Anybody with that name is the guy I want to fish with. He does look pretty young. He is the one who does the early morning trips. Looking at chartering the whole boat this time. We have 4 of us interested in going. So about $1000 for the whole day for the whole boat. Pretty excited already. Still chasing my first big Marlin. Got lots of smaller tuna, but nothing over 6' yet.

Go down to the docks and check them all out. They all have booths set up where you can talk to them. Make sure you are there when the boats come in from the day of fishing. It's a good way to see who's in to the fish consistently.

go to the marina in lahina talk to the local charter guys.
you will find the good ones but be prepared to leave at 1am or so if you want to get into lots of fish. they go aways out.
good luck

Fished Maui a few times. Mainly out of Lahaina. Fished with Start Me Up a couple of times. They were pretty good. Was really rough the last time out with them. Everybody was getting sick over the side of the boat. Left more fish for me, as I don't usually get ill from rough water. Captain was quite suprised, as even he was saying it's really rough. When the locals say it's rough, then you know it really rough. Huge swells. Got a few Mahi's that trip. That was all.

Used Finest Kind last time. I didn't think they were the greatest. They wouldn't change it up and we fished the same lures all day in the same spot. Ended up with 2 short billed spearfish and a couple Mahi's.

The guy I'm using this time in April is Die Hard fishing. His name is Captain Fuzzy. Anybody with that name is the guy I want to fish with. He does look pretty young. He is the one who does the early morning trips. Looking at chartering the whole boat this time. We have 4 of us interested in going. So about $1000 for the whole day for the whole boat. Pretty excited already. Still chasing my first big Marlin. Got lots of smaller tuna, but nothing over 6' yet.

Go down to the docks and check them all out. They all have booths set up where you can talk to them. Make sure you are there when the boats come in from the day of fishing. It's a good way to see who's in to the fish consistently.

I ditto the swell experience it was brutal.

I guess I got lucky although I got the name off friend before we went, and it happened to be one concierge recommended in Kauai. So I guess that really didn't count maybe Pippen is right there. I guess my pick was more based on friend experience. I remember I came on here and asked advice also..

BTW Pippen when you go to shrimp station please steal the recipes there!!! I have been trying to make that shrimp taco recipe...!! I never did make it to that Tahiti Nui..Next trip we will..

BTW Pippen when you go to shrimp station please steal the recipes there!!! I have been trying to make that shrimp taco recipe...!! I never did make it to that Tahiti Nui..Next trip we will..

Haha.....you got it!!! Spending week #1 down in Poipu...and will likely be hiking Waimea Canyon one day and the Shrimp Station is always lunch after the hike on the way back for happy hour. Spending the second week in a house right on the beach in Hanalei.....me thinks Tahiti Nui will see me a couple of times. ;)

Bag Juan.....are you a member on Hunting BC? I remembered where I saw a number of threads about fishing in Maui and they were over there. Did a bit of a search last night.

Extreme Fishing Maui and Die Hard (as tulameen mentioned above) were two that came up fairly regularly in threads over the past couple of years. Much like mentioned earlier....make a day of it and book one of the 2-3am departures which the above 2 apparently do. Read a pile of threads and everyone who had crazy fishing were the ones who left just as the bars close....hahaha. ;)

Just back from Maui and Start Me Up charters seemed to be the guys on the fish the 16 days we were there. Went down to the dock in Lahinia most days to see the daily catch and they seemed to be on the most action from the people that I talked to. In saying that it was the boats that were leaving the docks in the early am hours. While we were there we saw 3 Blue Marlin that had been caught 185-250#. Like Pippen has said do the early charter and go down to the docks when the boats are coming in and see how they are doing for yourself. I can't wait to go back, it's my favourite place to be.

tough time of year in hawaii. fished there last week and for the previous three years at the same time of year as it coincides with a lax tourney that i play in.... lotsa small tunas, lost a big billfish, but never GOOD fishing, charter guys say june-sept are the best months when 5 different species are around... good luck!! i personally am going to beach fish next year.. save the $....

Thanks for all the great info guy's , and no Pippen i am not on the hunting site but i will check it out, thanks again!! Looks like i will leave the bar and head for the marina and head out in the huge swells and puke my guts out and not catch anything, I'm in!! Sounds like a blast to me!! I have checked Start Me Up Charters on the web and sounds like they got a good gig going. I will check and see if i need to pre-book as i would like to hit the docks a couple of times first and see who 's hot and who's not. Sounds like there is some charters that take you out jigging for bottom fish which seems to be more productive but not going catch a trophy. I think i will try both. Thanks again guy's for the insight , and hope to post a few pic's in the new year when i get back!!

Don't know if you are into flyfishing or light tackle spin fishing but there is a little known bonefish fishery on Molokai.... It is tough going but I hit it up a couple years ago, only managed one bonefish and some jacks over a couple days but I am sure I would have done better with a guide.

Sweet!! That looks like fun too! Not sure if i will be doing that tho' - i won't have any of my gear with me. Thanks for sharing the info, and the pic!

Hey. I have fished out of lahaina a couple times. U gotta leave at 2am. If u want to get fish. The no problem with captain mason is awesome. He is a cowboy of the ocean. I watched him cut chum with one hand and eat his lunch with the other. It is rough but once the sun starts to come up u will feel better. I always stay in kihei but make the early drive to lahaina to fish. The no problem isn't the newest or fanciest boat but u won't come back disappointed. I never have. They will also give u enough fish to grill up for a meal or two. Can't wait to go again.

I have fished from the rocks in Maui for small fish, never the charters. I like the idea of taking a reel, and buying cheap rod at Walmart, drive the back roads of Kehai and you will see self serve fruit stands. Great fruit, cheap prices. Small stand with a pipe to put money in.

Kehai is great been there at Christmas a few times with the family. Best bet for fun is to take a little travel rod/reel combo in your suitcase. Take a few weights, hooks, leader with you as well. Buy Calamari (cut into small strips)and rent a kayak down on the beach. Travel out 100 - 200 yards and you'll catch all kinds of fish. We mostly fish just off the bottom but you can catch jacks as well by trolling calamari strips.

Maui

Haha.....you got it!!! Spending week #1 down in Poipu...and will likely be hiking Waimea Canyon one day and the Shrimp Station is always lunch after the hike on the way back for happy hour. Spending the second week in a house right on the beach in Hanalei.....me thinks Tahiti Nui will see me a couple of times. ;)

Bag Juan.....are you a member on Hunting BC? I remembered where I saw a number of threads about fishing in Maui and they were over there. Did a bit of a search last night.

Extreme Fishing Maui and Die Hard (as tulameen mentioned above) were two that came up fairly regularly in threads over the past couple of years. Much like mentioned earlier....make a day of it and book one of the 2-3am departures which the above 2 apparently do. Read a pile of threads and everyone who had crazy fishing were the ones who left just as the bars close....hahaha. ;)

Was there a year ago, dont fish out of a kayak with your legs in the water, some poor sucker was using spinning lures doing that, and a shark bit off his lower leg, bled out, died fishing.

Back