Fishing in April???????

L

Loose Cannon

Hey guys, I just moved to the coast from Alberta and have some buddies that want to come out for a fishing trip in April. Just wondering what the fishing is like out on the chuck that time of year and what the absolute best time of year would be for them to come out. Thanks in advance for any info.[8D]

Yeah, like Poppa said, def spotty in april. But get a run in May, although the best is still from about mid June to mid Sept. Nice thing about then is you'll get both hali's and salmon in pretty good numbers.

The very first time I went out fishing in Nanaimo it was in April. I had only fished sooke before that, So we were running sooke gear. We ended up with 5 springs over 20 pounds!! A very good day even by sooke standards. I have had plenty of luck since that time. I usually start fishing for springs towards the end of Feb. With a 28 1/2 being the biggest one I've caught in Nanaimo in Feb! I suppose these big springs follow the Herring and that time of year there is an absurd amount of herring in the Gulf of Georgia. The Spring fishing although spotty can be good right through till July. Then I go out after the West Coast monsters.

Just like every thing in fishing it can be good or bad april is prime time for halibut depending on the time you go as we have to fish the the slack currents for them as we are anchored for them sometimes there are some great winter spring action as well, if we could all predict when they were going to be here or biting us guides would have it made the best time fishing is when your here enjoying it with friends.

But for halibut march,april,may for big springs july,aug,early sept!!!!!there are several guides on here including myself and Justin from tailspin,and kelly of last chance that do hali fishing just look up at out web site then you can decide what you want to do!!!

Good luck Wolf

quote:absolute best time of year would be for them to come out.

I think the best place for you guys to fish would be offshore in July. Try fishing on the Banks off the west coast. You will be into fish all day long. You can catch Halibut and big springs out there as well as coho at that time of year. You almost couldnt go wrong (if the weather cooperates).

Since a little more information would help.
Loose Cannon where on the coast are you? Since you are talking April the northern end of Georgia Strait has very good winter spring fishing around then. If you are on the south end of the island hali fishing can be good then also. A little more information on where you would like to go i.e. day tripping from home, to a lodge for a week or maybe just to an area for a few days.

I live in Squamish and have my own boat, so I was thinking probably around howe sound/sunshine coast but could also cross the straight to ECVI or gulf islands if the weather is decent. I don't think I'm up for WCVI yet.

sunshine coast was good this year. Theres that site with great reports updated daily. I ran across a few time to sangster near lasquite and the fishing was fantastic in june but hot fishing only last maybe 3-4 weeks.Some days 8+ fish a morning though most teens 12-20lbs

quote:Originally posted by Loose Cannon

I live in Squamish and have my own boat, so I was thinking probably around howe sound/sunshine coast but could also cross the straight to ECVI or gulf islands if the weather is decent. I don't think I'm up for WCVI yet.

Loose Cannon.....

Howe Sound will be pretty quiet at that time, but you could try for "winter/feeder" springs down around the Bowen/Paisley Island area? The entire area is a bit of a crap shoot at that time of the year, but there definitely are feeders around towards the mouth of Howe Sound.

quote:Originally posted by Pippen-
Howe Sound will be pretty quiet at that time, but you could try for "winter/feeder" springs down around the Bowen/Paisley Island area? The entire area is a bit of a crap shoot at that time of the year, but there definitely are feeders around towards the mouth of Howe Sound.

April into May are the 2 best months on the Hump off South Bowen but the key is wind and it's windy more often than not.

60-150' feet down.

Back