Fishing Guides Doing Their Share

There is a local project that is just in the beginning stage with the next step being the formation of a steering committee. That is the Sooke Chinook revitalization project. We are going to succeed in getting the Sooke River Chinook juvenile numbers up to 2,000,000 fish from the 300-350 thousand at present. The difference between efforts to achieve similar things on the Sooke in the past compared to now is that DFO has been told they must produce Chinook to feed the resident killer whales. We are going to help them do it. I'm suggesting that the money raised by this effort go to this project. I've now learned that other guides from other towns have already done something similar. I'm encouraging other guides in other town to make the effort to do the same so that we have a province wide campaign all supporting local projects.
Thumbs up on that idea.

Guess I should quit my job, cause you mad, I work in the patch...

No.... what I'm saying is to get off this thread because you bring no value to the discussion.
In fact you bring little value on any thread.
Your comments about being too cheap to give 5 bucks proves that to me.

Others excuse my hijack as this members seems to be acting like a troll.
I support your efforts and think something like this coast wide would help.
I'm truly sorry that we have members like this one that continue to be "not helpful".
I would delete all my post on this thread If the "member from oil patch" would do so also.
But I suspect he gets a kick out of it.....
GLG

For this effort here in our local area it may work better if every guide just raises his trip fees by $5.00 (which I can't believe for minute would cause some to say you are to expensive). Then you can just say that you donate $5.00 per trip to this cause. We could take your cheque at the end of the year (honour system on your totals) and we use a charitable society to receive the money (like Charters Creek) so you get a tax credit for your donation. Then all the money would be released to the group working on this project. That seems like a win win for everyone.

As a person who finds myself on charters from time to time, I would 100% be happy to donate $5 or more to any area that I am fishing in. I think that if you do just raise the price by $5 there should be some advertising or something on board to let everyone know that this guide will be donating $5 from their charter to the cause. That would probably start the conversation and would in most cases bring in more than $5.

That would be the plan either way to supply a plasticized info sheet explaining the local project and the monies being donated.

I would even be interested in somthing like this and im not a guide. I would collect this from all the guests and buddies a I take out. Most have no problem spending 20-30$ for fuel what 5$ for the fish?

That would be the plan either way to supply a plasticized info sheet explaining the local project and the monies being donated.

The idea of a plasticized sheet is great. The more info the better, as there is a ton of down time of these four hour trips (or longer). The guests would probably enjoy something salmon related and educational to read when the bites not on....as some guest have no idea how awesome the fish really are.

I'm going to draft a introductory letter up tonight that explains this effort and it will be something I can email out to anyone who wants to participate. I will also spend a bit of time googling for email addresses of guides working the area between Victoria up to Port Renfrew. I want to keep it simple and I see no reason why it shouldn't be. Add $5.00 to your fees, collect the money, remit by Dec 31, get a tax receipt before tax time. Simple. Hopefully almost everyone will buy into this and we raise a S$/t pile of money. Something we can all be proud of doing and start a snowball effect on the entire coast.

BTW...this little project is just one that I'm taking on personally and there is no involvement from the boards of either SVIAC or the Juan De Fuca Salmon Restoration Society at this time. The good work theses two groups do with be supported by the funds generated but that is the extent of their involvement in this.

I have to say I like the idea and given the fact that if hiring a guide I am paying ~$800 ++ for a full day, another $5.00 really doesn't seem like an issue.

When hiring my buddy over in Tofino we are usually given my sister in law's house right on the beach for free....when that happens in the past we donated what I think was $800-$1000 to the Tofino Hatchery or enhancement society. Can't remember exactly which it was but we were more than happy to do it and my buddies didn't even bat an eye to the thought.

Pippen, those are my thoughts as well the $5.00 is really such a small amount on its own it won't effect an operators sales. However the pooled $5.00 will have a big effect on local salmon projects. Now just to be seen if the guides agree and sign on.

...Profisher for Prime Minister???

excellent work.

So far I have sent an email to about 40 local guides explaining what I want to do. I've decided to call this the "BC Salmon Recovery Fund" with tag lines. "Area 19/20". And "Local Guides Giving Back". I will create a boat info sheet for clients and also a window sticker so people walking the docks will know who is participating. I'm willing to send all the digital files to anyone who wants to take on coordinating a similar effort in their area. All you will have to do is substitute your statistical area in place of 19/20 and find a worthy project your local guides would donate to. The idea is to be collecting money coast wide.

I have called and talked to 11 guides so far and all 11 are onside with this. I will get around to calling all the guides I can identify as time allows. Stickers are being designed and laminated info sheets are in the works as well.

To date I have chatted with about 20 of the 40 guides I sent the introductory email to and happy to say I have 100% of the those onside. They are all guides working either Victoria or Sooke waters. Now to tackle the Port Renfrew crowd. I hope most of them will see the benefit of helping on the Sooke watershed project as those fish swim past Port Renfrew and in fact they get a crack at them before the Sooke guys do. I hope to have the boat stickers and laminated boat info sheets ready for April 1st....they are at the printers now.

Here is a view of the boat sticker that Tom Spetter of Integral Creative PR & Design Inc designed for me for this initiative at no cost. I will have them in my hands tomorrow as the printers have finished making them. I just have to get the boat info sheets laminated and I will be distributing them by Friday!

Back