Fishing Guides Doing Their Share

So everything is now completed for the guys I have talked to. I will do round two of the call up this coming week. Just for interest sake here is the info package that each guide gets to keep on board for their clients to read. There are 3 pages posted here scroll down as the gap between is bigger than I wanted but can't reduce it.

That is a half page and laminated.

The next ones are 2 pages laminated back to back to make a double side full sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I now have all the files created and templates made. My hope is that charter boat operators from the other DFO statistical areas will want to follow my lead. I can supply the stickers with your statistical area on them. They cost under $2.00 each. (just covering my costs) All that would be required is to find a local project that your areas guides would support, email them explaining the project, follow up with a call to get their response and then write your own boat info package for each operator. My hope is that in a few years every charter fishing trip on the coast will be generating $5.00 towards local salmon projects.

Check your email. Sorry for the delay in responding. I would like to pay forward 20 trips @ $5.00 to help cover costs. Contact me anytime if this works for you.
Dave

I spent a few minutes adding up my companies contribution to date for the summer. The total so far is $670.00 and includes the $5 per trip and a few additional donations from customers who wanted to pitch more in. I will be over $700 for sure by the end of the month. i have about 36 vuides who indicated they were prepared to help with this effort. I hope they are doing as well or better than my efforts!

Great job Rollie!

Please keep us updated with the totals that come in. Hopefully all 36 follow through.
Even at $500 each = $18,000
That is an excellent achievement.
Even better if it can continue year to year.
Guides and Lodges can add this to their advertising to show clients that they are putting back.

Tips

I've promised all those guides who said they were in that I would not be privy to their individual donations. I will however know what the grand total will be once the monies are due and paid up. I will pass along that final figure probably sometime in Jan/15 as the cheques will be due Dec31/14.

Well I've had a recent update from the treasurer at the Juan De Fuca Salmon Restoration Society where this funds donations are being received. The 2014 fund ended on December 31st and I asked that donations be submitted by Jan 15th. I have been told that there has been just over $1,700.00 received from a total of 8 local guides. More funds may come in late, I'm not sure. To those who took the time to collect funds I thank you. SVIAC is presently working on a plan that will see additional Chinook salmon raised at the Nitinat Hatchery(1,000,000 eggs) and then transported down to the Sooke and Victoria area as smolts. They would then move these into net pens located at 5 locations, Sooke Harbour, Becher Bay, Pedder Bay, Esquimalt and Oak Bay with all smolts eventually released into local waters to support our local whales and local fisheries. These funds are dedicated to this effort. However sadly this amount would not even cover the feed for 1,000,000 smolts while they grow at Nitinat let alone the trucking costs and the costs involved with building the required net pens. Am I giving up? NO! I was able to easily collect $720 and I hope others will understand the importance of doing something positive to rebuild local Chinook stocks and help our local whales and to ensure they will be able to continue to fish.

That's a great start! Thanks to the participating guides and special thanks to Rollie for implementing this great idea! I for one will let my out if town and country buddies knows to look for guides that offer this program. They will be happy so support our needed salmon projects this way and support guides who make an effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea I have thought of that for years, give back to hatcheries etc that put so much back into the seas. Especially guides as we really tap into the fish stocks. We donated to Thorton Creek hatchery through our rental company ( Natural Elements Vacation Rentals ) and used to give a percent of our earnings each month for several years but have slipped away for a bit. We did get donation receipts that you are able to write off I believe I just turned them into the bookkeeper. Maybe talk to some of the local hatcheries in your area and perhaps they would do the same for you. Will get back on it soon, such a good cause.

So you personally collected $720 and the other 7 guides together only collected $980. WOW you must have some amazing cliental. Good on you man..... Great job

Ucluelet, the program was set up with a society that has charitable status so all those who donate get a tax receipt. I added $5 to each of my trips just before the summer season started and donated that plus the extra donations. So my customers who take the fish home each pay a small fee to ensure that they will have fish to catch and take home in future years. I think this should be a coast wide program with monies collected directed at local projects.

Good on you, makes sense to me nothings better than seeing a stream(s) loaded full of spawners and knowing you've contributed in some way. It's a good feeling no doubt keep up the good work.

A further update. I was informed at a steering committee meeting last night held at the Charters River Centre that the onies collected now total $2100.00 This is a number that I'm happy with for a first year program. So again a big thank you to those who were able to collect and donate. I was told that all the tax receipts for those donations have been sent out as well. If this is not the case please let me know.
I've just ordered the 2015 decals for the boats and will have them shortly. I guess I'm like DFO, a bit tardy sometimes. SVIAC is working on a plan that would see 1,000,000 additional Chinook eggs taken by the Nitinat Hatchery,(fall of 2015) raised there to smolt size then trucked down to the Sooke and Victoria areas in the late spring, (2016) held for a few weeks in sea pens located in 5 locations. Sooke Harbour, Becher Bay, Pedder Bay, Ogden Point and Oak Bay. Monies from the BC Salmon Recovery Fund will be directed at helping with the costs involved with feeding, rearing, transporting and penning these fish. I would really like to be able op present SVIAC with a minimum of $10,000 in 2015 from the local guides who will benefit from these additional fish in JDF. I really believe $10,000 is a very realistic number to reach given the numbers of commercial guide boats in areas 19 and 20.

Back