Fishing Boat advice

Your doing right thing is you have a 15ft going up to something at least 18ft you will see a big difference in ride and comfort. It make a huge difference. I ran a 16ft double eagle for years and just found it way too small.

Thanks for the reassurance SV. I definitely feel like the step up will be more comfortable and honestly, a little safer.

From your comments regarding your current ride I'd suggest you purchase an newer boat as soon as you find one you like. As you stated fuel consumption is a big concern. If that is the case an aluminum hull with a newer 4 stroke is the only way to go. I know Aluminum hulls are far pricier, but you will get your money back in the long run. Aluminum is far lighter, so your fuel savings will pay for it if you use your boat a lot. Because it is lighter you will also find it far easier to launch and pull out by yourself. Aluminum boats also maintain their value far better.

I disagree with some of the guys comments about, use your boat in the meantime and take your time about finding a new boat. From your remarks about your current boat, I would suggest getting on the new purchase ASAP. Your boat, power, and trailer all sound like they have been pretty well used. Any major breakdown would make the boat very difficult to sell and, without paying for the repairs the boat would have very little resale value. Any major engine repair job would suck up any savings you might make on a purchase by doing a long search for that sweetheart deal at a great price.

Even if you think your engines are running well and you don't expect any issues, a major breakdown could happen any time with older motors. Use your current boat sparingly in the meantime and jump on any boat that fits your requirements and is at a reasonable price. Waiting for a "GREAT" deal could end up costing you far more if your current boat suffers that dreaded unexpected breakdown.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks BigGuy, I showed the wife the Raider online and she didn't immediately hit me so that's practically permission.
We'll go Monday and have a walk around and see again after I've had a couple nights sleep on it.

A friend had a 15.5 Arima. My 14 Livingston handled the waves much better; the Arima porposied.

Your current boat is way too butt-heavy. Don't throw good money after bad.

If you don't want a Cuddy & are staying smaller, you don't need AL light weight for towing. If you ever go on choppy seas, heavier weight is better. I'd take a hard look at an older 18 SeaRay with a great O/B - built like a tank.

Thanks ericl, I think in consultation with the boss and also my dad we're going to drop the money on a new boat, likely the 172 raider or 18ft hewes.

I do have a stupid / naive question though. I know it's common practice to negotiate down the price on cars or ask for extra options at no cost but is this normal for boats? This would be my first boat purchase from a dealer.
Do I ask for some equipment included? Price drop, free servicing for a few seasons?

I know there's no law against asking but I wanted to hear some opinions from seasoned boat buyers :)

Thanks for everyones advice and help so far.

It never hurts to ask that's for sure. It will depend on where you are buying...price point of the boat your buying and of course how hungry they are to sell you a boat. I bought my last two boats new. One was on the lot already and I opted for a different motor package Than what was on it and they threw in a basic boating package but not much. My current boat was a factory order and they seemed more willing to toss things in. They included pretty much everything like bumpers...lines....anchor package(basic) and the kicker bracket I wanted. So I would definitely ask for lots and they can only say NO! Lol. Although my next and hopefully last boat but will be used there's nothing like buying new and setting it up exactly how you want it.....good luck

I think you may actually find a dealer more willing to drop a bit on a used boat. Some guys just get so attached to their boat that they can't deal with the sale objectively, unless they are very motivated to sell. Anyone selling because of tough financial times, or an estate sale might definitely be far more flexible. I just don't think those are the reasons most guys boats go on the market.

I think you may actually find a dealer more willing to drop a bit on a used boat. Some guys just get so attached to their boat that they can't deal with the sale objectively, unless they are very motivated to sell. Anyone selling because of tough financial times, or an estate sale might definitely be far more flexible. I just don't think those are the reasons most guys boats go on the market.

What about a new boat from a dealer? Presumably there's some margin there though I imagine it's a good market right now.
I was just thinking things like safety gear, radio or other "accessories". Or, just some off the top so I can outfit the unit myself.

This is the end of boat show season when the mfgr deals are. Check-out the mfgr web sites. FYI i hope you don't buy a Merc (AKA the black death). Everybody that has to depend on their outboards (i.e. make money) goes Yamaha.

I took the wife out to Sherwood and went through my 3 favorites and she preferred the Hewes' 180 Sportsman (didn't like the finishing on the Raider)
Just going to run it by my fishing partner for any last minute concerns but I may have a nice birthday present :)

I am swapping out the Yamaha 90 for a Suzuki (6yr warranty vs 3 and $1000/less).

Not a bad choice...........however, if your broke-down out in the boonies warranty & $1000 don't mean much. Doesn't mean Suzuki is a bad choice but Yamaha may be better as far as reliability

Yamaha's proptest shows a top speed 0f 28mph with a 50 hp & about 40mph with a 90. The 50 goes 4.1mph @1000rpm with over 13 mpg. Could probably troll with that at 600rpm.

Yamaha's 70 does have the lean-burn that Suzuki has.

From what I read (and annecdotal feedback) the Suzuki's are rated as very reliable, quieter and better on fuel. Are you aware of any issues I should be concerned about with reliability? I did try to read as much as I could and didn't find anything concerning.

Aluminum has it's advantages over glass, and those Hewes are nice, but very shallow dead rise to them. Why are all aluminum boats manufactures building small runabouts with such shallow dead rise?

Hi Aridol. I have nothing specific other than parts are easier to get for Yamaha & complaints on fuel economy on some Suzuki V6's. I know some Guides who have used the larger Suzuki's; no complaints other than fuel usage.
In a 90 HP, Suzuki has better spec's; DOHC versus SOHC on the Yamaha, Suzuki is lighter. Suzuki's prop tests indicate you will be 2.3 - 2.5 mph at idle, which would be slow enough for me for trolling. If you want to troll slower w/o a kicker, you could downsize to a 70 & lose 5 mph or on the top end. Do your due diligence & try to find a prop test on your boat & look at where max MPG at a speed you would be happy cruising at.

Fisherman Bob, it's a better design for calmer waters where most of these boats are used. That way you can stand-up, & crank them Bass in reel fast while showing off yer butt crack

Thanks ericl, there's a lot out there in terms of reviews and info and I probably would have been fine with the Yamaha. I just had the Suzuki's recommended to me and did some reading and they seemed pretty solid so I thought I'd ask the dealer and when it came back with the 3+3 warranty and $1000/less it pushed me over the edge :)
I hope I don't come to regret it out there on the ocean as you said!

Forum etiquette question, I will take possession of the boat hopefully within the next few days and I am getting my list of "stuff" together for installing / transferring to the boat.
Should I create a new thread / discussion on what to outfit the boat with or just use this one?

Forum etiquette question, I will take possession of the boat hopefully within the next few days and I am getting my list of "stuff" together for installing / transferring to the boat.
Should I create a new thread / discussion on what to outfit the boat with or just use this one?

I would keep in running on this one. This thread is focused on your boat upgrade, so you might as well keep it going.

I would keep in running on this one. This thread is focused on your boat upgrade, so you might as well keep it going.

Makes sense :)

Primary use for the boat will be fishing and there will be 3 or 4 guys (including me) on most trips and 99.9% of the time we'll be trolling for salmon out of Cheanuh.
Also, we do spend about 15-20 days at Cowichan lake each year doing water sports like tubing / skiing / family boating

What I have:
Rods and reels <-- Salmon only, no halibut caliber stuff
2 good manual scotty riggers
net
Life Jackets
Fire Extinguisher
VHF handheld floating radio
GPS & Finder (raymarine 5") <-- I might sell this and go a little bigger like 7"
All the tackle in the world for Salmon
Boat specific toolbox
Basic first aid kit
Whistle, winding flashlight
Old butt kicker (1950's 2 stroke) that requires separate mix fuel tank
2 good quality newish batteries
4x 10lb cannonballs
Oars

Things I would like:
2x 1106 electric riggers
Flare gun and flares
Radar reflector & maybe radar?
New Netting (rubber or something easier on the fish)
Better marine First Aid kit
Rope for traps, floating line, tie line etc...
Washdown pump
2 new reels (daiwa m-one or Shimano GT4000's) <-- I am too poor to afford islanders now :)
Matching Suzuki Kicker
Easy steer system
Phone Mount / tablet mount
15lb balls
Mounted VHF radio & folding antenna
throwable ring rescue float
Airhorn
Binoculars
Boat cover

My questions for everyone is what am I missing? What do I not need? What are the very useful things no one thinks about until they need them?

Gaff, cannon ball holders, gunnel mounted rod holders, dock bumpers, rear steering and separate throttle control for kicker.

Back