fishin buddies

how are you supposed to find good fishing buddies? everytime i bring someone steelheading with me their never as avid as i am and i always find myself telling them i will be back in a few hours because they cant keep up the pace hiking into the remote places. since most of my time spent on the river is trying to get away from everyone theres not mush of a chance to make friends on the river.

Send me your resume'

LOL

You'll hit it off with somebody sooner or later. Lots of guys out there thats for sure. Seems like everyone is an angler.

I do know what you are saying though when it comes to passion.
Fishing buddies are almost forever once found, but completely written off it seems when the story goes south. So much vested interest goes into a fishing partner. You'll see. Definitely tricky

I've been fishing with a list of guys over the past year and keeping things simple.

No headaches with people getting offended if you fish with someone else and man o man the new things I have learned. Venturing out with new people sure takes you places you would have never gone to previously.

Good luck

Maybe your meant to fish alone. I fish alone nobody but me. Go when i want, leave when i want, fish where i want.The only drawback is no one to take my pics of all the silver slabs i catch.:D

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader

how are you supposed to find good fishing buddies? everytime i bring someone steelheading with me their never as avid as i am and i always find myself telling them i will be back in a few hours because they cant keep up the pace hiking into the remote places. since most of my time spent on the river is trying to get away from everyone theres not mush of a chance to make friends on the river.
My buddies call me half Elk half Steel.... for those same reasons.
Youre not the only one;)

quote:Originally posted by Dinnertime

Maybe your meant to fish alone. I fish alone nobody but me. Go when i want, leave when i want, fish where i want.The only drawback is no one to take my pics of all the silver slabs i catch.:D
Or to help you when you suffer an injury due to a bad fall in the middle of nowhere. Been there, done that.

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy

Or to help you when you suffer an injury due to a bad fall in the middle of nowhere. Been there, done that.
Good point ,its always in the back of my mind when i go it alone into the remote spots.

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy

Good point ,its always in the back of my mind when i go it alone into the remote spots.
I bring it up due to a harrowing incident that happened to me some years ago. It was the last time i fished alone in a remote setting as a promise i made to myself - very scary.

Don't get bummed out, there's people to meet, just be friendly. I've met some GREAT people off of this site, Dohboy, Wolf, and a couple of others. Dan

the point of no one there to take pics of my slabs is what im getting at. i have 20 pics of slabs with my hand holding the tail but u cant tell if its a 2 pound rainbow on a girls hand or a 12 pound slab. not really too concerned about bad **** happening on the river if its my time to go than so be it, and if i bite the bullet doing what i love most than it was a good ending. just kinda would be nice to have guys to explore wild rivers with. i always think as im driving down logging roads where theres no cell reception what do i do if my truck brakes down?

Regardless of your cavalier attitude towards personal safety, it would probably be nice to make it to Oldsteelheader some day. But the lack of buddies can be tough. When I first moved down I had no drivers license, which meant no fishing for almost two years, until I made a buddy. I like fishing alone sometimes, but it is generally nice to go with someone, either an eager novice of an experienced fisherman who you can count on to fish new water and give a reliable report. In general, as lone as people can keep up, I prefer company outdoors than in town. Also, one you have a couple of good fishing buddies and they can't make it out on a couple of trips, it is super fun to rub their noses in all your success. :D

I probally caught my biggest (fresh) steellhead in over 30yrs of steelheading on sunday . Took some pitchures but you can't really tell the size. Fishing buddies come and go. In high school and for about 10 yrs my good friend and fishing buddy had a motto the three F's fishing,four wheeling and f$%^&*( fishing always came first (almost always).We still talk a few times a year but haven't fished together for over 20yrs and he owns a fishing store. Life changes wife,kids, jobs,houses.You meet new freinds new fishing buddies, you will probally be fishing with someone on this forum shortly. I might just have to call an old one.

I hate fishing alone. 2 heads are better than one if a situation comes up, extra hands and brain are helpful.

no 1 2 take pics....that sucks.i think i have more pics of my centre pin and fish than i do of me and fish.i have a couple reliable friends...most of the time.but i was fortunate enough 2 find a woman who loves fishin ..and my 2 boys aswell.oh yah!!!cant 4get about my dog..hes the most reliable(just gotta show him how 2 hold the camera..lol).my mutt is a little small 4 what we do but when i pick my next fishin buddy its gna b a lab.;)

shakes:D

You don't need pictures to know what you caught. I released a Thompson fish that by measurement was estimated to be 25-30 pounds. It doesn't really matter. I know it was a trophy fish that I will be unlikely to ever match and it was released to do it's thing. This was back in the day when you could bonk one if you wanted to but you had to stop fishing for the day hence the fish was released.

My main point is a picture is made in your mind of your fish, you do not need to post it on the net to validate your ability as an angler.

Instead of playing up your abilities you might want to downplay it. The less pressure and more room on the river the better for you.

My partner and I always catch the same amount of fish, one and only one! We always encounter poor fishing no matter how hot it is and I cannot imagine ever posting a picture of a steelhead no matter how large.

Keep on posting all your info though as we just might try to catch "one" in your hotspot if you are willing to share.

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

quote:Originally posted by youngsteelheader

My buddies call me half Elk half Steel.... for those same reasons.
Youre not the only one;)

My buddies call me Jon but half elk half steel is kinda catchy....

Youngersteelheader your not tristan yipp are you?

i know what your saying about pictures i just would like to get some use out of the 400$ olympus waterproof camera i bought. i have no desire to post pictures of fish on the internet, but it sure is nice to take a look at steel pics in the off season and dream about the next winter.

this is a little of topic but some of u guys that have been steeheading for many years, does the feeling adrenaline and excitement that u get when u hook into a fish go away or lessen over the years... i only ask because i see older guys on the stamp that hook into fish and dont even crack a smile. when i hook into a fish i am hooting and hollering, laughing and my whole body is trembling. im never choked when i lose fish i just focus on catching another one.

Good question. I have caught hundreds and hundreds of steelhead over the years. I have never lost the feeling that I am a kid in the candy store when it happens that a steelhead strips that first 50yards of line from my reel. Always exhilarating!
It has always struck me as wierd that these guys out there work hard to keep any sign of thrill off their faces when they land a steelhead.

Obviously the days of screaming and hollering has subsided due to the being " cool" as a cucumber attitude that is expected of a consumate expert. LOL

Guess it's kind of like scoring with a hottie. Gotta contain yourself so you don't look like a newb. On occasion I still slip though. Who cares:D

Hooking a steelhead for me is the greatest thrill in life.I never ever tire of it and its the same each and everytime.I dont hoot and holler anymore just yell FISH ON with a big smile so everyone can hear and look at a sucessful angler playing a steelhead.Everyone is different and chose to act in whatever manner they feel comfortable with.I've been at it 26 yrs and have caught hunderds of steelhead from a whole lot of rivers and i never tire of it,ever.I will fish until im no longer able to, hopefully many more yrs to come.

4 me......its still gets me excited....soon as i hit the clicker on my islander...its music 2 my ears.....

shakes

Back