Fishermen Team Accused of Cheating by Stuffing Fish With Weights

This story was on some larger newscasts in the US. One commentator suggested that if the cheaters did not put the weights inside their fish, they still would have won by a few pounds.

This story was on some larger newscasts in the US. One commentator suggested that if the cheaters did not put the weights inside their fish, they still would have won by a few pounds.

I thought i heard on the radio that they won by 15 pounds and 8 pounds of it was lead.

without the weights they would of got second and without the fillets perhaps third.

Last edited:
I thought i heard on the radio that they won by 15 pounds and 8 pounds of it was lead.

without the weights they would of got second and without the fillets perhaps third.
My math isn’t amazing (okay it is) but if they won by 15 pounds and 8 was the weight of the lead, wouldn’t they have still won by 7 lbs?

Last edited:
I remember entering with my Dad when I was a wee lad
ME TOO! we didn't have a clue what we were doing, I rigged up a whole herring with tandem singles and put a slight bend in it to get a spin.
Ran it behind a metal dodger and had a 12oz Peetz slip weight to get it down.
I ended up with a 12 1/2 lb Coho that was just short of 10th place by a couple of ounces!
I believe the top 3 prizes were boat & motor combos and the other 7 were outboard motors.
Somewhere I have a picture of me holding my fish and have a big yellow metal badge on my shirt saying " I caught a salmon in the Sun Salmon Derby"

Walleye and Bass tournaments are big money in the US and less so in eastern Canada but not too shabby. Contests typically won by ounces difference. Live wells in the boats. Live wells at weigh in. Live wells in release pontoon boats. Fished tourneys in the 80's pro bass circuit Ontario. There were cheaters. They got caught. No publicity the way sponsors wanted. Those guys just never showed up again. Got off way too easy. Great camaraderie, beer tents, small town hotel bars. All tainted because of the sh*t heads out there and BTW ... they are everywhere in every activity and the real pro thieves can be seen daily very visible....wearing suits and ties on city streets.

Walleye and Bass tournaments are big money in the US and less so in eastern Canada but not too shabby. Contests typically won by ounces difference. Live wells in the boats. Live wells at weigh in. Live wells in release pontoon boats. Fished tourneys in the 80's pro bass circuit Ontario. There were cheaters. They got caught. No publicity the way sponsors wanted. Those guys just never showed up again. Got off way too easy. Great camaraderie, beer tents, small town hotel bars. All tainted because of the sh*t heads out there and BTW ... they are everywhere in every activity and the real pro thieves can be seen daily very visible....wearing suits and ties on city streets.
Well said. There are lawn signs all over right now with their faces right on them!

Two pro fishermen were indicted on felony charges Wednesday after they were allegedly caught stuffing their fish with lead and other items before the weigh-in at an Ohio fishing tournament.

Chase Cominsky and Jake Runyan were declared winners at the Lake Erie Walleye Trail Championship (LEWT) in Cleveland last month before their fellow competitors found the bizarre items stuffed in their catches. Runyan, 42, and Cominsky, 35, have now been indicted on felony charges of cheating, attempted grand theft, and possessing criminal tools, ESPN reported.

Back