Fishermen Team Accused of Cheating by Stuffing Fish With Weights

Bass tournaments in Ontario during 1980's when I fished them soured off as same guys seemed to win too frequently or place high up in a field of very experienced fishermen well equipped to win tournaments. Prizes of cash and gear tallied up to over thousands of dollars. Suddenly several of these stopped entering because (as suspected) already had their fish pre-tournament caught in fish boxes stashed on the lake and got caught. No charges. No bad publicity for the sponsors associated with the contests.

Now every tournament/derby after weigh-in will end up cutting open all entered fish to check for crap like this, some fn people scew it up for rest
I guess there is some merit to these catch and release derbies that we do around here where a group of dedicated boats will come by and measure your catch for you and do a calculation and then release it. No scale weight is used.

I see 1st and 2nd place for that Derby was a New Boat and Trailer= cash valued at $125,000+

Ranger 622FS Pro - Fall Brawl First Place

2022 FIRST PLACE Prize:
Ranger 622 FS Pro w/400 Mercury + outfitted by Aqua Traction, Lowrance, & Cisco Fishing Systems LTD.
$125,000 Value
Ranger 621FS Pro - Fall Brawl Second Place

2022 SECOND PLACE Prize:
Ranger 621 FS Pro w/350 Mercury + outfitted by Aqua Traction, Lowrance, & Cisco Fishing Systems LTD.
$110,000 Value

2022 Payout​

3rd Place – $65,000
4th Place – $55,000
5th Place – $45,000

Plus all the side bets those guys were very lucky to walk out of there unharmed.

I heard they won by more then 15 pounds, Why put in so much extra weight, Then i heard to stop the lead from banging together they shoved fished fillets in-between the weights.

I guess it should not surprise me, but I find this shocking behaviour.
People will go to great lengths for the almighty dollar. Corporations lie, cheat, or misrepresent their products all the time. Same thing on a much smaller scale.

I guess there is some merit to these catch and release derbies that we do around here where a group of dedicated boats will come by and measure your catch for you and do a calculation and then release it. No scale weight is used.
Interesting, how does that work somewhere like the port alberni derby where the fishable area is massive?

There is money in lots of those tournaments and apparently those guys won quite a few. Pretty crazy that he just stood there and took it and didn’t get knocked out by someone
Watched the footage again last night and totally agree. With the monies involved, it is unbelievable those two were left to walk away untouched.

Watched the footage again last night and totally agree. With the monies involved, it is unbelievable those two were left to walk away untouched.

The weigh master was an off duty police officer and I also heard on the radio there was police in uniform there.

Interesting, how does that work somewhere like the port alberni derby where the fishable area is massive?
The last one that I was in had an area range from the North Arm all the way to Sand Heads. They had a number of weigh boats to handle the load.

Back