Fisherman pinched for hiding crabs.

yammy5

Fines for Undersized Crabs Caught in Tsawwassen October 6, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surrey, B.C. – A recreational crab harvester has received a significant fine for possession of two undersized Dungeness crabs caught near the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal Causeway.

Marco Grefiel was found guilty of three violations under the Fisheries Act by Judge William G. MacDonald in Surrey provincial court on December 2, 2008, and fined a total of $600: $200 for retaining two undersized Dungeness crabs, $200 for retaining a female Dungeness crab, and $200 for making a false statement to a fishery officer.

On August 3, 2008, fishery officers from Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) stopped a vehicle in the popular fishing area in Tsawwassen. When questioned, Mr. Grefiel, who was accompanied by several other men, denied that he had been fishing and that he had crabs in the vehicle. However, upon inspection by the fishery officers, two Dungeness crabs were found in the car’s trunk: one was female, and both were undersized. It was unclear who had been fishing and therefore no charge was laid against Mr. Grefiel for fishing without a licence.

To protect the stocks, crab harvesters are required to return female and undersized Dungeness crabs immediately to the water. Fishers can only catch males that are large enough to have mated at least twice (at least 165 mm in width, measured in a straight line through the widest part of the carapace, or shell, from outside the points). Harvesters are advised to measure crabs using a caliper device.

DFO acts to end illegal fishing activity. As part of this work, the Department asks the general public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336.

-30-

For more information:
Leri Davies
Strategic Media Relations Advisor
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region
(604) 666-8675

Too bad DFO wont fine the fish farms for killing all the Fraser river sockeye salmon!

I'll bet it cost $6000.00 to collect the $600.00. Thats not a big enough fine to pay the wages and paperwork of fisheries. Hit these guys harder. [}:)]

you should see it at tsawwessen causeway there are RV's there at first light and they don't leave until dark and that's all they are doing is crabbing and at that spot you get your limit in a couple of hours. and they are there every weekend day. It's a mad house. I guess you get them before the natives do

I just don't understand why people would take undersize or female crabs! I was out on the weekend and in one 3 hour soak pulled up 24 crabs. I kept 2 because I don't need 4, I'm only feeding myself!
Oct32009.jpg

Aside from the fact that it's illegal, it's enough work to remove the meat from a large crab.
I feel the same way about salmon, if it's under about 12 lbs it's to hard to remove all the bones.

Sometimes it's just hard to understand people's thought process? Go to Thrifty's and buy two crab, the cost is slightly less than $600 dollars?

Sometimes it's just hard to understand people's thought process? Go to Thrifty's and buy two crab, the cost is slightly less than $600 dollars?

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I meant that if someone stole a couple of crabs from a grocery store, they would get a bigger penalty then those guys did. I was comparing what they did (Taking somnething they were not supposed to), to simple theft.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I agree with you about the small $600 penalty. When you consider that a grocery store only needs to pay a store security guy and maybe a closed circuit camera. DFO needs trained officer(s), boats, fuel etc..
You also will not find female or undersized crabs at Thriftys!
Hit them HARD, I say.

Back