Fisherman missing near China Creek?

Justfish

From the Colonist this morning..........

By Staff, Vancouver Sun July 10, 2010

VANCOUVER — An unoccupied boat left with its outboard motor running near a Port Alberni marina triggered a call to the Victoria Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Saturday.

RCMP Sgt. Kevin Murray said that a 9-1-1 call was put through to the rescue centre after a 18-foot Double Eagle boat was found near the China Creek Marina with the outdoor motor running and in neutral.

"We have been able to make contact with the family of the male that we believe to have been operating that vessel," Murray said.

Through witness accounts, police believe the boat belonged to a lone 59-year-old male who was camping at the China Creek campground.

Canadian Coast Guard and RCMP vessels were involved in a search throughout the day. Aerial support was provided by the Comox Search and Rescue 442 Squadron and the RCMP.

"At this point in time, the formal search by the rescue coordination centre has been called off and the file has been handed over to us to continue to determine the circumstances surrounding the discovery of the vessel and the whereabouts of the individual that was operating it," Murray said.

Anyone with information can contact the Port Alberni RCMP at (250) 723-2424.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

A liar will assume you are lying

They released his name today. It was Roland Compton (Rollie) of Chemainus. He lived just down the road from me.

Wow did the ever find him?

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

My condolences to the family. If it's any consolation I think that's the way most fisherman would like to go out, doing something that they loved.

No, to my knowledge they haven't found him yet. Likey they never will. People I have talked to say he was either taking a leak, or more likely trying to land a fish.

Back