Fisheries notices

North WCVI
PLEASE NOTE FOR 2023, ALL MANAGEMENT MEASURES REMAIN THE SAME AS IN 2022
South WCVI

PLEASE NOTE THAT NEW FOR 2023: IN AREAS 121 AND 123 THERE ARE REDUCTIONS IN THE CHINOOK DAILY LIMITS (2/DAY TO 1/DAY) FROM JULY 15-31 TO REDUCE IMPACTS ON FRASER SUMMER 52 CHINOOK. IN PORTIONS OF AREAS 21 AND 121 THERE ARE INCREASED SALMON FISHING CLOSURES TO HELP SUPPORT SOUTHERN RESIDENT KILLER WHALE RECOVERY. ALL OTHER CLOSURES AND CHINOOK REGULATIONS REMAIN THE SAME AS IN 2022.

I find it so confusing that areas 121 to 123 they are worried about 5-2 chinook, but then they don't care for areas 125 to 127, but then they care again for 111 and Hida,

If I'm reading this correctly that sub area, with a line drawn from poier pass to gibsons ( including thrasher rk in the July 15th opening ) does not exist until August 1st this year?
Looks that way to me. Everything west of Thrasher, Area 17 is open though...

"-Those portions of Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49°23.021'N, 123°32.166' W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip of Valdes Island (49°01.695'N, 123°35.721'W)."

But that doesn't open until

"SUBAREAS 29-3 to 29-5 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those closed and non-retention areas/periods listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit."

Looks that way to me. Everything west of Thrasher, Area 17 is open though...

"-Those portions of Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49°23.021'N, 123°32.166' W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip of Valdes Island (49°01.695'N, 123°35.721'W)."

But that doesn't open until

"SUBAREAS 29-3 to 29-5 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those closed and non-retention areas/periods listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit."
That's what my secret decoder ring says also. Looks like thrasher rk is not open until the 1st of Aug.

That's what my secret decoder ring says also. Looks like thrasher rk is not open until the 1st of Aug.
That’s what I was asking earlier… I believe Thrasher is half open… ie the 3 Subareas west of it. So the normal area east of the marker are Aug 1. That’s how I read it.

they are playing whack a mole,

I dont think is coincidence that were seeing increasing in restrictions in areas where more people are now going to fish.

why going to a MSF is would end all this BS

DFO needs to put a plan togther, get it signed off and make a correct fisheries
announcement to coincide with the April 01 licence.
They couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag.
Never going to happen, if you haven’t figure out how this works yet your never going to get it, when it comes to Fraser fish, it all depends how many fish are in the nets, they decide if we get to fish, been living 5 min from the river for 35 years, spent almost 20 years fishing it, gave up completely a long time ago has I could not watch what was going on anymore

1st of September yeah… anything east of Gower-Shah is not open until Sept 1. Not sure about Cap areas but as far as Bowen or Sand Heads goes it’s Sept 1. How I read it.
Same as last year and there’s no opening for area 28. At least not yet. We got options tho. Pay for the gas and cross to area 16 or 17 for a slot limit. Do nothing until Sep 1st. Sell the boat and find another hobby. This is so frustrating.
What

what is msf
marked selective fishery --> fency term for killing hatchery fish

Back