Fisheries Act renewal recommendations..

I used to have faith in this but as time goes on I think they just promised to get elected. I haven't seen any movement on this, and dont expect to until next election.

Thanks for sharing. Zero control from feds on water pollution until that bill gets repealed. Until then the province will take the lead on any issues with polluting or habitat not other way around. Its time to get the Environment Canada officers and DFO the backing they need to do your job. It would also be nice for them to get their own offices and not sharing it with the ministry of environment of BC. That is crock if you ask me. That system where the feds are taking orders from provincial ministry staff is just plain wrong especially where fish are concerned.

This statement below is very true, and should worry every stream keeper in province. This is why our local DFO and Environment Canada officers are powerless. You can issue a complaint but it is very hard to prove. This was designed to get industrial projects in faster without the red tape:

Donnelly says the 2012 changes to the act put the regulatory focus on preventing "serious harm" rather than habitat destruction, which he says made it more difficult to protect fish.

"It's really hard to prove a pipeline or a bridge, or a building, or a road killed that fish in that creek," he said. "You're making it much harder to prove a project is impacting a fishery."

Sorry to go on I am so fed up with no action on this issue and numerous excuses by Trudeau to protect water in streams, lake, rivers that the fish depend on.

Last edited:
Back